We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 2010 Honeymoon Austria/Italy

Which Krems an der Donau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mumbai
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Dec 2010 Honeymoon Austria/Italy

Hi,

We are planning our honeymoon in Austria and Italy over 3weeks in december2010. Current plan is as:

1. arrive in Vienna (2N)

2. Drive from Vienna to Salzburg over couple of days with one night in either Krems or Durnstein (visit Melk en route)

3. Krems/Durnstein to Lake district with overnight in Bad Ischl. Visit Hallstatt.

4. Drive Bad Ischl to Salzburg. Overnight Salzburg(2N)

5. Salzburg to Innsbruck via corrior train (via kufstein). Overnight Innsbruck.

6. Innsbruck to Venice via day train? I hear the trip through bolzano, verona etc is beautiful.

Rest of the trip in Italy.

I have a few queries am hoping for some suggestions/guidance with:

1. Would you recommend driving from Vienna to Salzburg with overnight stays as per 2-4 above in winter? are the roads safe and would the towns(durnstein/bad ischl/krems) cater to tourists in december or would they be virtually shut as it is off season?

2. with limited daylight hours say 8am to 5pm is the above itinerary soemthing that you would recommend or would advise against. I would really like to see the Lake district as I hear the region is absolutely beautiful and thebest way is to drive.

3. Would you recommend Innsbruck to Venice by train i.e. is the train service open and is the trip really worth doing as a day journey (i.e. scenic) or should one take a night train instead or just fly? I have been recommened this train ride as a very scenic trip but not sure if winter /december is also doable.

4. any other usggestions with the overall itinerary that may help e.g. driving or train reservation etc related or anyprecautions etc since its winter/december. Any suggestions to make the honeymoon trip memorable e.g. romantic hotels/restaurants etc.

kind regards,

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec 2010 Honeymoon Austria/Italy

I've already replied on Rome forum to your general query without knowing about these plans for Austria. This sounds like a strenuous trip for a honeymoon. You are responsible for all the logistics, driving (on the right) , finding your way, you are packing your suitcase night after night etc. Plus weather issues, language questions.

It could work out fine or could be a strain on the two of you. Why not simplify it a bit and relax a bit more? Maybe do the trip by train so you can enjoy the views from the window rather than worrying where you are going.

Also, Vienna certainly warrants more than one day in any case.

2. Re: Dec 2010 Honeymoon Austria/Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, March 24, 2011