We are planning our honeymoon in Austria and Italy over 3weeks in december2010. Current plan is as:
1. arrive in Vienna (2N)
3. Krems/Durnstein to Lake district with overnight in Bad Ischl. Visit Hallstatt.
4. Drive Bad Ischl to Salzburg. Overnight Salzburg(2N)
5. Salzburg to Innsbruck via corrior train (via kufstein). Overnight Innsbruck.
6. Innsbruck to Venice via day train? I hear the trip through bolzano, verona etc is beautiful.
Rest of the trip in Italy.
I have a few queries am hoping for some suggestions/guidance with:
1. Would you recommend driving from Vienna to Salzburg with overnight stays as per 2-4 above in winter? are the roads safe and would the towns(durnstein/bad ischl/krems) cater to tourists in december or would they be virtually shut as it is off season?
2. with limited daylight hours say 8am to 5pm is the above itinerary soemthing that you would recommend or would advise against. I would really like to see the Lake district as I hear the region is absolutely beautiful and thebest way is to drive.
3. Would you recommend Innsbruck to Venice by train i.e. is the train service open and is the trip really worth doing as a day journey (i.e. scenic) or should one take a night train instead or just fly? I have been recommened this train ride as a very scenic trip but not sure if winter /december is also doable.
4. any other usggestions with the overall itinerary that may help e.g. driving or train reservation etc related or anyprecautions etc since its winter/december. Any suggestions to make the honeymoon trip memorable e.g. romantic hotels/restaurants etc.