We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When will the Danube be navigable again?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
When will the Danube be navigable again?

I can't tell if the reports are sensational or accurate as is the norm with US reporting usually. Just wondering about the weather and the water levels and how river cruising is impacted and anything else that can be added.

19 replies to this topic
Lewisville, Texas...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

My parents river cruise from Budapest was cancelled as of today 6/4.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,471 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

The situation will calm the next days! Water level rise quickly and also fall fairly fast. If we do not get more rain the next days (what hasn't been predicted), then it is over.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

I wouldnt expect the Danube to be fully navigable from Passau until Serbia in 2 weeks.

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

not all the water from Germany passed Austria so it will take some days but 2 weeks is a good time frame

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

Any update for the Main and Danube rivers today?

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

Seems TA website has troubles today - posted before but not accepted on this thread.

Much must happen before the Danube is navigable. Impossible to predict dates.

While flood waters slowly recede much more needed before work can proceed.

many access points to river dockage still submerged.

Some docks I have seen are debris covered and appear moved from their normal positions.

No buoys seen and if like other flooding - these either torn from locations or moved.

On shore navigation aids see flooding .

While ship board navigation systems may not need these still important and often these do a good job of reflecting radar.

With so much debris and fast water moving river bottoms and depositing stones , silt etc. perhaps dredging in some areas needed.

perhaps freight barge traffic may begin before cruise ships move.

2 weeka who knows - depends on what is found.

A major weekend river fest with fireworks due for the Wachau in 2 weeks.

A flotilla of boats big and small make a journey down river greeted by fireworks.

many VIPs attend usually - this may speed things.

have a look here

www.panoramablick.com

click on spitz view.

note water level still high-

the first bridge work seen in the river is the local ferry boat access to cross the river - note its angle and situation.

In the background is the Brandner sightseeing boat dock- seems not in the normal place.

this just an example.

also check the local news

www.orf.at

many news photos - german skills not needed.bank are the DDG and brandner Danube sightseeing boats- no way currently to reach them due to melk flooding.

One with the almost submerged town sign of Emmersdorf. This across the Danube from Melk Abbey.

The two white ships along the Melk riverfront - DDSG and Brandner sightseeing boats- no way to reach them yet with flooding.

Not a great site.

As more news comes I try to post more

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

That would be great Vertical and thanks for your research and for your effort to post here until it stuck.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
3 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

The Danube is closed for at least another week from the 7th of June, I am a passenger stuck on a riverboat, we are being bussed to Vienna, than on to Budapest

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

Oh I know how you feel. We were forced to start in Budapest on 8 June a full 3 days before the expected peak reached there. The cruise consisted of 2 nights in so-so hotek in Budapest then multiple bus rides with long drive to Vienna for two nights in a floating then more busses and eventually a 14 hour bus ride to somewhere halfway arriving after 10 pm.

Never again with this company as they knew the state if the river and knew our ship could not reach ys in Budapest

Scenic, Evergreen, Viking are off my list. Other companies cancelled and/or gave guests the choice.

We did not appreciate the misinformation being given to us.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When will the Danube be navigable again?

I'd sue them for compensation!

Reply to: When will the Danube be navigable again?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted