We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

I've been reading about lodging in Hallstatt. We'll be there for 2 nights in February 2014.

Would love to be able to sit by a nice warm fire.

Does anyone know of any lodging near the center of town that has a fireplace in a common gathering room?

Thank you.

Jennifer (aka Cowbell)

p.s I have been reading about various places. The Gastoff Zauner looks very good but I can't tell by the website if there is a fireplace anywhere..

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,996 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

you love your fireplaces, don't you? but the Austrians have a much more traditional device. called a kaminoffen, or kackeloffen. basically it is a wood burning stove (newer ones on oil) built into a large concrete cube, with decorated tiles on the sides. these tiles get very hot and radiate heat. often there are seats built on to the unit on three sides. to me, far more desirable than a fireplace.

now back to topic. hallstatt is VERY cold in winter and is basically closed down, so there may not be many hotels open. there is a new one on the lakeside, but I cannot remember the name. there is another on the square called the gruner baum (green tree). but I have no idea if it will be open.

if I were you, I would stay in the likes of bad ischl and take a day trip to hallstatt. or if you are looking for a snowy more rustic setting, try gosau, close to hallstatt. also very close to hallstatt (at end of lake) is obertraun. again a bit more rustic.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

Walked through the village today, No sign of any smoke from fires.

Sorry the tourist information was shut or I would have asked them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

Wow! What service! I thank you very much! :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

Thank you very much for the information.

Regarding the fireplaces, well, we don't have one at home, and since we're going to be going to a very snowy cold area, after trudging around in the snow, we thought it would be VERY nice to sit with some books next to a source of HEAT :-) . The kackeloffen sounds great!

I already know about Hallstatt being pretty much closed down in winter. But after skiing for a few days in Obertraun we won't be looking for excitement. I will keep an open mind about staying in other areas. But mostly I'm looking for old architecture and a picturesque setting.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Jennifer (aka "Cowbell")

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

You should also consider staying in Obertraun. Very scenic.

Also not sure how you are traveling around but Obertraun is on a north south railway line.

6. Re: Need cozy Hallstatt hotel or lodge with a fireplace..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 03, 2015