We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Train Tickets

Hello All

Thanks for the help with my original questions about Switzerland. I have booked the TGV to Paris for $25 in late September. Which leads to my next question about OBB train service.

I did notice on the OBB website that certain trains between certain cities have what apears to be a discount rate. The OBB says there are only a limited number of tickets like this issued per train or something to that effect.

For example the 09:16 am train from Vienna to Salzburg has or did have a 19euro ticket versus the regular rate of 24 euro. We are are over 65 not sure if that means anything in Austria for train tickets. I also noticed a fare of 9euro on Railjet between Salzburg and Innsbruck.

I was going to purchase train tickets in Austria that have these offers as we already have hotels / apartment pre booked in Salzburg and Innsbruck.

Do you see any problems if I proceed?

Thanks

Harold

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
23,570 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Tickets

No, no problems! But the standard fare between Vienna and Salzburg isn't 24€ but 50€. Between Vienna and Salzburg you can also take a train of ÖBB's competitor WESTBAHN (www.westbahn.at) whose fares are way better for one-time users. Right now they also offer a special fare (Trafik-Aktiv-Ticket) for seniors (above the age of 60) which costs 9.99€ only. This ticket is only valid from Monday to Thurday but on all trains, it can ONLY be bought in Trafik stores (= stores selling tobacco products, newspapers, magazines and some other stuff) which feature a "ticket terminal". There are two stores at West Station, so you could get them there. But you can also buy them anywhere in Vienna. Most stores in Vienna feature this service.

https:/… (German only)

2. Re: Train Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 13, 2014