We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stop over in vienna

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
stop over in vienna

hi my family and I have 6 hours in transit and was wondering if there is anything close by to see.

is it worthwhile to see Schonbrunn Palace??

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stop over in vienna

Hi.

Is your 6 hour layover between flights or between trains? If trains, which station are you arriving in/departing from?

Zed

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,863 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stop over in vienna

If the six hours is during the day it's well worth going into Vienna. What are the hours? And is it at the airport?

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: stop over in vienna

hi

it is between flights

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: stop over in vienna

we arrive at 5:30 am and leave 11:30am

Wien, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stop over in vienna

So I guess checked your luggage through and have your boarding pass: just head to the City center and have a look around in the Inner City. There is not much open this early maybe some bakeries or coffee house

There are several threads about this in the Vienna forum, please use the search there first.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stop over in vienna

Will you need to go through passport control? If you are entering the Schengen for the first time upon arrival in Vienna, you will need to. If you are leaving the Schengen when departing, you will need to go through passport control. Also, consider that you will need to go through security when arriving back at the airport. Assuming you have to pass through passport control at least once, I would expect that you will be arriving in Vienna by 7:00 am and you will need to depart Vienna around 9:30 to get back to the airport by 10:00. That gives you about 2.5 hours. If it were me, I would take a taxi to save time, get dropped off at the Opera House, wander the first district, stop at a café and head back to the airport in a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,863 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stop over in vienna

Taxi there and back maximises your time but costs most at about €30 each way. Public transport will be €4 each way for adults, less for kids, but could seriously eat into your time.

8. Re: stop over in vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 25, 2014