We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danube Bike Path

Hawaii
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Danube Bike Path

Has anyone take the bike/barge trip on the MS My Story or the Koener? I am thinking about the trip in September but cannot find any reviews. Please let me know what you thought of the ship.

58 replies to this topic
vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Danube Bike Path

I would look very carefully at these tours, especially the stops and distance between them.

Both shops are relatively old.

My Story perhaps newer and more comfortable. Very distinctive with a red and white ( at least to last year ) color scheme.

Until recently My Story was used more as a regular passenger ship.Perhaps with many new vessels coming into service , it could not compete.

Using the ship is a good way to avoid moving luggage and re- packing daily.

Consider a " do it yourself " tour.

Pathways are well marked.

Many accomodations and you make your own schedule.

September is a good time for your travel. Wine regions are picking grapes. Most times fewer bikers compared to July- August. It seems normally September has ok weather but who can predict.

Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Danube Bike Path

Laner, we are also looking into doing this very trip. We wanted to do a supported yet unguided bike ride after a great trip in Catalonia last year. And we want to visit our son who will be studying in Luxembourg this fall. AND, I'm recovering from a knee injury from skiing this winter, so an easy trip suddenly seemed in the works. I, too, couldn't find a ton of reviews....but finally decided to take a leap of faith and go ahead and book. The price seemed okay, and we figured we can do as much as we want on our own, as long as we find our way back to the boat each night! We will be in Europe a total of 20 days, so figured 7 days on the MS Story/Koerner should be do-able. What have you decided?

Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Danube Bike Path

Recently booked the "Danube Impressions" bike/barge tour on MS My Story! I couldn't find many reviews and I was hesitant too. Then, I spoke with an aquaintance that actually takes people on bike tours in Europe and he highly recommended it. He has not been on this exact tour but some of his fellow travelers have gone on it. The price is great and the idea of seeing this part of Europe by bike is so exciting for us. I hope you booked it too!

Edited: 9:47 am, May 29, 2013
Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Danube Bike Path

So glad to see a response! We did go ahead and book the trip. We also are doing Danube Impressions (to Vienna and back), though it may be on the Theodore Korner. Due to scheduling, we needed a Sunday-Sunday trip. We go Sept 22; and then will head across Germany to Luxembourg to visit our son at the Miami U (of Ohio!) Dolibois campus. When do you do the trip, bsymom? Would love to hear from any others who have booked this bike-boat journey, or who have done it in the past...

I received a PM from one TA member who had done this trip last year. He said just to be prepared for very few "North Americans", so I've signed up for free language "school" on livemocha.com to brush up my 2 semesters of college German! Got on my bike this week for my first time since my knee injury, and the good news is that I CAN ride. Whew.

I ordered some Donauradweg literature from an online resource (www.donauradweg.at)--looking for additional rides and routes off the Danube path if we wanted to venture out a bit--and I received the pamphlets, but it is all in German. So a little helpful, but still looking for a good English language biking guide of the Passau-Vienna area, if anyone knows of one. The gentleman who messaged me about this trip also said that the guides on the boat (the people!) were of limited value, so I took that to mean that the more we know about what we want to do and what is available, the better.

Edited: 1:59 pm, May 29, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Danube Bike Path

Esterbauer has excellent maps for this trip. We used their maps for our trip (train from Vienna to Linz, then rode up to Aschach an der Donau, then rode back to Vienna).Their maps also give some good rec's for things to do or places to stay.

www.esterbauer.com/db_rtb_allg_int.php…

Great ride, we brought our panniers from trhe USA and used them on the bikes we rented in Vienna.Austria is VERY bike friendly.

Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Danube Bike Path

Thanks for chiming in, Operettaman. Another couple we are trying to convince to join us is from Longmont! Anyway...I've ordered the Esterbauer guide and anxiously awaiting it.Glad to hear your recommendations for this trip. We are very excited! I'm sure I'll have more specific questions once I see the guide and figure out our specific itinerary.

Regards, Sarah

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Danube Bike Path

It's a great ride. We took our time, stopping at any village we found to be intriguing. We went in May so there was no problem finding places to stay. Next trip we are planning is ride from Munich to Salzburg and environs, then back down to the Danube and go as far as Durnstein or Krems...we'll have our Jack Russell in his bike trailer as well.

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Danube Bike Path

In addition to the info above by Operettaman, a good source of general information regarding biking by the Danube Germany - Austria- Hungary etc.

www.danube-cycle-path.com

possible stages, guide books etc.

You will find so many sightseeing possibilities near to the river - never enough time.

make some time also to stop in the vineyards and wine villages to sample the fine wines produced.

Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Danube Bike Path

Thank you, operettaman and vertical. Lots of great information and good encouragement! I am really looking forward to hopefully enjoying seeing the grape harvest--we'll be traveling the Danube Sept 22-29. I wish we were bringing our pup to ride in our basket, but alas, she's almost big enough to ride the bike herself, and at 14 years old, prefers to stay home and get postcards ;-)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Danube Bike Path

Vertical has good advice about the wine...excellent. At the time you go there most likley will be available Sturm, very lightly fermented new wine. This is a seasonal Austrian treat that is not to be missed.

Our Jack, Thor, loves to travel and has been to Austria several times.

Reply to: Danube Bike Path
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted