We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Megadrive

Vienna
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - Megadrive

Beware!

This car rental company profits by offering cheap rentals, then charging the full excess price (around €460) for any amount of damage, stone chip or larger damage. They will give a cursory glance around the car when you rent it, then pay much more attention on the return. If you do not note down every little scratch or chip, you will be charged the full price of your excess! There is no consideration for general wear and tear. I rented from this company several times because they were significantly cheaper, and was aware of how necessary it was to note all damage on pickup, no matter how small. Eventually I was caught out however when they found a small stone chip. Goodbye €460. Standing at the counter trying to discuss was a waste of time, company policy is to charge you the full excess price regardles of the damage amount. I have since learnt they do this to any customer they can.

Edited: 9:07 am, April 02, 2012
Bucuresti, Romania
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

I confirm the above experience on our rental in January 2012 from Vienna Airport. I also got charged an extra EUR100 for bringing the car back 45 minutes late, although i was told at the counter when i took the car that 1 hour late is not a problem. i have also contacted austrian consumer protection, but nothing resulted. I would beware not just of MegaDrive, but whatever is booked through Atlas Choice (uk site that refered us to Mega) and Buchbinder rent a car, (buchbinder.at) which seems to be the parent of Mega.

if anyone knows a way of getting back at these guys, short of criminal action, please post here.

alex

Vienna
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

There seems to be a hole in the Austrian legal system which allows rental companies like Megadrive (buchbinder) to rip off customers in this way, charging full excess for minimal damage. Its almost impossible to prove the systematic scam thats taking place, but we can at least boycot the companies involved. Spread the word, avoid Megadrive Austria.

Bucuresti, Romania
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

To clarify, our total charge included €80 for a one inch scratch on the plastic wheel cover and €100 for the 45 minute late return. The €80 was after about half an hour's negotiation, as the staff wanted to charge us the standard €460 for a body damage... Then they fortunately found some reason to only charge us €80. We were never shown the regulation stipulating the €80, the €100 figure or any proven record that the wheel cover damage was not there when we took the car.

Strange enough, when we took the car, someone in the parking lot told us to inspect the car carefully, but we didnt think of it much at the time.

Further, they didnt want to (or claimed they couldnt) sell us full insurance coverage at the front desk, saying it can only be purchased online along with the reservation.

The lesson is to always take the full insurance and bring the car back in time... If youre late, call ahead and extend by another day, as it will likely be cheaper than the penalty.

Tallinn
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

Definitely avoid Megadrive and rentalcar.com!

We rented a car with full insurance and everything was paid in advance.

While returning the car we faced a lot of unexpected problems - we were forced to clean the car, to tank it fully again, because we had done it approximately nine kilometers before the airport, not next to the rental place, etc.

The staff (a short man, in late fifties with grey and black curly hair) there accused us that that car had been spoilt during the rental time, but it was not. Everything was in order and as it was before. At last he found „a broken antenna“. When we got the car, it looked exactly the same. We had to waste time at the car returning place more than 45 minutes. (He definitely wanted us to overlimit the returning time, but he couldn´t we won him in 3 minutes.)

Due to that we didn’t reach to check-in in time and were almost late from our plane. The man was very rude, selfish and impolite, he didn’t care about our departure time and at last I had to sign the documents in a way he wanted because we were running out of time and didn’t have any ohter choice, so actually, it was blackmailing.

In addition to that, I was taken 420 Euros from my creditcard, but we had full insurance - and I still haven't got any answer to my complaints from the company.

At first I thought it was just a misunderstanding but now I see it really is the policy of the company!

Brasov
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

I had the worst experience with Megadrive- Vienna Airport, my credit card was charged with 530 Euros for a scratch that was not even made by us. when we took the car from the parking lot that was in a dark garage it was quite impossible to check it, so unfortunately for us we believed that their software program (they told us about) took note of every scratch from past clients.

guess what.. it was useless to argue about this matter when we returned the car. not to say we had the plane leaving the same day, so we could not stay very long. they did not even inform us about the value of the "so said" new damage, they only told us that we will be informed via email. I'm still waiting to receive the Invoice, but my card has already been debited with the a.m. amount.

I think there should be some way you can suite them for this kind of practices, considering that as it was previously said, it appears to be their policy. I think they profit especially from the fact that most of their clients live abroad and it's very hard to take legal measures.

If anyone had a better experience receiving any refund in a similar situation, please give us a feedback.

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

Stay away from this company !!!

They are a cheat.

I rented a car twice from them.

On the first rental they charged me full excess

for not parking in the right place; When they didn't guide me.

On the second time they charged 408 EURO for a broken Antena,

which was broken in the first place.

Netanya, Israel
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

I too had a similar problem with MegaDrive in August 2012. I had hired the vehicle through Rentalcars.com and collected it in Vienna. On returning the car to the MegaDrive Vienna Airport branch their representative pointed out a very fine scratch on the rear right door - this scratch was superficial and could easily be repaired in 5 minutes with a rubbing compound. In any event I knew that I was not responsible for that scratch and I wrote accordingly on the check-in form that this was the case. Three weeks later I saw that I had been billed on my credit card to the amount of Euro408 by MegaDrive. I immediately contacted Rentalcars.com and sent them all of the relevant documentation as well as a copy of the reports on this blog. After about a month Rentalcars.com informed me that they had resolved the matter with MegaDrive and that I would be receiving a Euro350 refund on my credit card but the Euro48 could not be recovered this was an "admin charge" which was irrecoverable. The refund came through a few days later. I must say that that Rentalcars.com handled the matter efficiently. However, in the future I will stick to Avis, Eurocar, Budget or one of the other larger companies - the small amount in savings is not worth the hassle.

England
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

I've had the same from Denzel Drive in Salzburg who were the local partners of Alamo. They verbally told us about some damage on the back of the car, and it seemed to coincide with a mark on the check out papers. However, on completion of the rental we were charged the full excess amount for that damage. The damage on the check out papers turned out to be just to the side of the actual damage. I'd recommend being extremely cautious, because this was a well thought out scam.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

Thanks for the tip, i was just about to use this company, you've probably saved me a lot of money. Sorry you has such a rotton experience :(

Ludvika, Sweden
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental - Megadrive

Wish I had read this before renting car from Megadrive... first time we have got a car that was not cleaned, neither outside nor inside, and I suspect that they deliberately let the cars be dirty on the outside - it's totally impossible on a dirty car in a dark parking house to see all small scratches...

Luckily we saw that two of the plastic wheel covers were damaged and went back to the counter and got that noted in the papers.

The car was on the whole not in a good state at all, engine went really bad, difficult to start and stopped during drives for no reason...

Staff at the counter rude and uninterested in their customers. Had made a reservation asking for snow chains, but when we picked the car up, the girl at the counter just told us that she did not have any chains at all...

Will NEVER EVER rent a car from that company again, will stick to the large well-known companies in the future.