We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

New Zealand
11 posts
Save Topic
St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

Hi, I plan to boat Melk/Krems on my way back to vienna from Salzburg. I plan to catch an afternoon train to St Polten(base) from Salzburg and boat Melk to Krems the next day then catch an evening train back to vienna.

The connection will be St Polten - Melk - Melk boat to krems - St Polten - vienna

1) Can my train ticket from Salzburg to vienna be use for the above mentioned transfer? If not, is it possible to transfer by bus? train/bus which one easier/cheaper? Pls advice bus schedule.

2) Do i need to make reservation for the melk boat trip?

Please advice. Thanks.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

Why don't you stay in Melk?

Ad 1) No! Train tickets are only valid on the railway corridor stated. Detours are not coverd. Purchase a ticket from Salzburg to Vienna, interrupt in St. Pölten and on the next day buy own tickets for the means of transport you take. The final part of the trip (St.Pölten>Vienna) is coverd by your Salzburg>Vienna ticket.

Ad 2) Not necessary!

New Zealand
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

I have choosen to stay at St Polten initially so that i can store my luggage there and easy connection back to vienna.

Maybe I should travel to vienna directly from Salzburg and make the Melk/Krems a day trip from vienna.

Sounds better?

austria
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

Stay in Vienna.

St. Polten is not a great place even being a provincial capital, lacking good choices of convenient hotels and good restaurants near to the train station. Few Sightseeing opportunities. Generally a dull place.

The St. Polten Train station has been in the process of renovation for an extended period.

Vienna offers much more for you as a guest tourist, greater choices of hotels and conveniences sightseeing and restaurants.

No trouble for a day trip to Melk and Krems.

New Zealand
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

It sounds great to stay at Melk after a second thought.

Salzburg-Melk(base)-boat Melk to Krems-Melk-Airport

1) Pls recommend some nice and inexpensive accommodation at Melk.

2) How to get back to Melk from Krems?

I will need to catch my flight back home the next evening. Pls guide me how to move from Melk to airport and how long it takes.

Thanks.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

You can find the timetables (incl. door-to-door) of all means of public transport at:

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en

If you have the possibility, get the train to Spitz and then the bus to Melk... nicer than via St. Pölten (but also okay).

Melk-Vienna Airport is easy! Train to Wien Westbahnhof (west station), from there: direct bus to the airport (ticket from the driver).

You will find all information you need on the link above.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

Depending on the amount of luggage you could also do the ship passage with it (although I personally would not really do it). But it is worth a thought as you could skip the return leg. From the landing point in Krems you could ride public bus #1 to the train station, where trains to Vienna depart regularly (some require an easy transfer in the town of Stockerau). For accommodations in Melk try to search the forum and visit the hotel assessment section of TA.

7. Re: St Polten - Melk/Krems - Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 14, 2010