We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Austria

Macau
Level Contributor
296 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Austria

I (wife plus daughter of 15, - totally 3 people) plan to travel in Austria in second half of coming August. I am open to take the train or driving. I shall fly from Munich to Vienna. We love city sight-seeing, going to countryside, and would like to iclude music to the itinerary whilst visiting Austria.

We plan to stay 3 full days in Vienna. I would like to have advice on have a day trip to Krem Und Stein, but don't have a concrete idea of how to make the most out of the day.

Another 2 full days will be spent in Salzburg. In the web and other than the city, it seems that both Salzkammergut and Mondsee are amazing and I don't know how to choose.

Another 2 full days in Innsbruck. It seems that I should go to villages nearby or the Alps to have a real feel of the region.

Despite distane between Venice/Salzburg and Salzburg/Innsbruck is relatively short, there are a lot of beautiful countryside that train travel seems infeasible. However, parking in above cities is difficult and expensive. I also note in official website of these cities that "visitor card" offers a great deal of convenience. I really cannot make up my mind whether it is better to go by public transport or by driving myself.

Any idea for me to better use my excess time of stay in Austria will be appreciated.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Austria

What about a combination of railway and individual car? Between cities (e.g. Vienna>Salzburg and Salzburg>Innsbruck) the train is very efficient and comfortable. Between Vienna and Salzburg you can rely on a vast number of trains departing approximately twice an hour.

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/e

In order to save money, purchase a train ticket from Vienna to Innsbruck as it is allowed to interrupt itineraries covering more than 100km. If you bought two seperated tickets you would pay much more as the price depends on the distance and decends the farther you travel.

The Salzkammergut is definitely more enjoyable with your own car although it would also be feasible with public transportation. In the Salzkammergut I would focus on St. Wolfgang (cute village by the lake with a famous cog railroad bringing you to a great lookout), Bad Ischl (the summer residence of the emperor), Hallstatt (UNESCO World Heritage Site) and Obertraun (Dachstein Mountain).

http://www.stwolfgang.at/

http://www.badischl.com/

http://www.oberoesterreich.at/hallstatt/

http://www.dachsteinwelterbe.at/

www.dachsteinwelterbe.at/index.php?id=41&L=1

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Austria

Hi,

Just another opinion... how about renting a car when leaving Vienna and staying in the Berchtesgaden area (we love Ramsau) in Germany, just 20 minutes west of Salzburg. Beautiful alpine scenery and you can easily see Salzburg from here. As for Innsbruck, you may consider staying in Hall in Tirol (which is about 15 minutes from Innsbruck). It has a larger (and nicer, IMO) old town than Innsbruck, plus we love staying at the Gasthof Badl in Hall in Tirol. We stayed here 3 times in the last 7 years.

We have some photo's that may be of interest:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel15.html

Hope this helps.

Paul

nottingham
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Austria

What gorgeous pictures we have here.. We are hoping to do a trip in June this year, and this has really given me plenty of food for thought.

Does anyone know if the Austrian Alps would still be snowcapped in mid June?

Can't wait to go!

Macau
Level Contributor
296 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Austria

Thank you for input from all of you, and which is inspiring. Scenery from the photos is striking.

Since train travel is cheaper for longer distance, I think I shall keep the travel by train. Instead of staying 3 nights in Vienna, I shall now stay 2 nights there. Then I shall spend a night in Wachau, and another night in Salzkammergut. Afther then, I shall stay 2 nights in Salzburg, and 2 more nights at Hall in Tirol. Since I can squeez some more days for my holiday, I shall then travel to Munich from Hall after my trip in Austria.

Pls advise which town is better for accommodation in area of Wachau and Salzkammergut. In addition, and since I shall travel by train, any recommendation for hotel in above cities will be very helpful. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Austria

Hi again,

Traveling by train, the Gasthof Badl in Hall in Tirol is perfect.

www.badl.at

We stayed here in 2001, 2003 and 2004. It's an easy 5 minute walk from the train station. Frau Steiner and her daughter Sonja are simply wonderful hosts/owners.

Nice rooms, outstanding views of the Alps from the room balconies (ask for a room with a balcony, not all have one), very good buffet breakfast, very good (and inexpensive restaurant) and it's less than a 10 minute walk to the charming old town pedestrian zone of Hall in Tirol.

Also, we can recommend an excellent place for dinner (along with the Badl's restaurant), simply walk across the footbridge from the Badl over the Inn river to the Berg Tavern in Castle Hasegg. Great medieval atmoshphere!

Hope this helps.

Paul

Macau
Level Contributor
296 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Austria

Thank you for the info. Since we shall travel by train in principal, how do you think of Novotel Wien City? Is it convenient for public transportation, not far away from the train station to Salzburg or a day trip to Krem?

Another query that I have is about listening to music in Vienna. Any recommendation? We shall be there on 15 and 16 of August.

7. Re: 10 days in Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 20, 2009