We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Riviera in August

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
French Riviera in August

Hey all, my fiance and I are visiting Monte Carlo August 19-25 for our honeymoon are are flying into Nice airport.

We were hoping for some suggestions on things to do that week/weekend. Is Nice/Marseilles worth a day trip? Any wine country day trips?

How about beaches? We would love to stay in a hotel that has a great beach (I guess it doesn't HAVE to be in Monte Carlo)

If it is Monte Carlo, what hotels/resorts should we stay at?

Any day trips to other French Riviera parts we should consider? Cote D'Azur? Cannes? Are they far?

How's the nightlife? Any places we must go to at night?

Lastly, my fiance is vegetarian...any places we should consider eating?

Thanks to all in advance

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Riviera in August

Hi,

In Monte-Carlo there are two nice hotels on the beach: Meridien and Monte-Carlo Bay.

But as it's the high season in August it could be very expensive.

Cannes worth a day trip (about 1h by car, probably the same with the train).

As for nightlife you have nice restaurants and nightclub Jimmy's at the Sporting (it's very close to Meridien and Monte-Carlo Bay resort hotel).

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Riviera in August

Here is a link with some ideas for nightlife in Monte-Carlo:

10best.com/destinations/…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Riviera in August

First off....Monaco is tiny. It would easily fit inside of Central Park.

The French Riviera and the Cote d'Azur is the same thing.

You have left it EXTREMELY late to try and find accomodations. Not only does the rest of the world visit France in August, but that is when French citizens take their annual vacations, so the Cote d'Azur is jammed and good hotels will have been booked up months and months ago.

If you do want to stay in this area for the days you mentioned, you need to find accomodations immediately. You will need to expand your search outside of Monaco..Don't expect to find a nice hotel on a beach. You won't find it at this late date.You are going to have to take what you can get. Good luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: French Riviera in August

Hi, you are right about the prices but we were able to find some good hotels to stay at, including on the beach, albeit pretty expensive.

Anyone have any thoughts on day trips? To Nice? Marseilles? Cannes? Should we do any or all of them?

Can we do wine country? If so, where?

How about the food? Any vegetarian options?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Riviera in August

You need a good guide book. Get the Michelin Green Guide to the Cote d'Azur.

You are going to find more accomodation options (and cheaper ones) if you expand your search outside of Monaco.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: French Riviera in August

One of the great things about this site is you get to ask from personal experiences....if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,157 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Riviera in August

Personal experiences are indeed great. However, you need to have a basic understanding of your destination for anything to make sense

You asked about taking a day trip to Marseille. If you had a basic understanding of your destination, you would recognize that Marseille is almost a 3.5 hour train trip each way. That's a long day trip.

That's why I suggested reading a simple guide book.

Then you can come back and ask us " Would we recommend the Picasso Museum in Antibes?" Or "is Eze village worth a visit?"

You haven't told us what your interests are. Pretty difficult for us to make recommendations when we have no idea what you are interested in seeing / doing.

There are vegetarian options on many restaurant menus. They are posted outside for you to look at.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Riviera in August

Hi SA

I would suggest you consider visiting at least one hilltop village while you are here - St Paul, Biot or Eze. And on the coast, Villefranche and/or Antibes.

If you love art, let us know, because we have more museums dedicated to artists in this region than you can shake a stick at.

Marseille is about two hours by train, so you would need to be really keen to use a day of your holiday to go there. And you are not in the right place for wine tours - there is only one appellation, Bellet, in the Alpes Maritimes. But if wine is really your thing, you could drive or a driver could take you on the six hour round trip to the southern Cotes du Rhone.

These days, you will find a vegetarian option on any restaurant menu, but vegetarian food has not reached the level of sophistication that it has in New York. That said, both the Meridien and the Monte Carlo Bay (and the Beach Club, the other hotel on the beach here) are good at vegetarian food, as are some of the restaurants on the beach at Larvotto, particularly the Blue Note or the Miami Grill.

Monaco is a great choice for a honeymoon, I am sure you will love it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Riviera in August

I agree on a guidebook so you can have a general understanding of the area but of course ask questions.

Marseille is far. Not a day trip.

Why do you want to stay in Monte Carlo as opposed to other places on the riviera? You're from BY so keep in mind mc is built up. If yiu want more laid back look at day trips or staying in: Nice, Villefranche sur mer, Eze village and St. Paul de Vence.

The better wine region will be in Provence. Maybe you can split your trip and spend half the time in the riviera and half in west Provence. Aix en Provence would be a good base.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French Riviera in August

I agree on a guidebook so you can have a general understanding of the area but of course ask questions.

Marseille is far. Not a day trip.

Why do you want to stay in Monte Carlo as opposed to other places on the riviera? You're from Ny so keep in mind mc is built up. If yiu want more laid back look at day trips or staying in: Nice, Villefranche sur mer, Eze village and St. Paul de Vence. I've heard menton near mc is nice but have not been

Nice old town has a great and lively night life.

The better wine region will be in Provence. Maybe you can split your trip and spend half the time in the riviera and half in west Provence. Aix en Provence would be a good base.