We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Which Monte-Carlo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help

My husband and I are planning a 8 nights trip to southern France in January 2013. Please give me some suggestions on Itinerary. We want to visit Nice, Monte Carlo, Cannes and some nearby cities (need your recommendations). We've been to Paris and Avignon. Is it cheaper to fly into Paris than Nice from Washington, DC?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

Without knowing your interests or budget...I will be doing some speculating here.

In January, some smaller towns ( Eze, Villefranche & St. Tropez for example) will have businesses closed for the season. The weather couild be sketchy...if it rains, it will likely be a downpour and then pass.

The Cote d'Azur ia very compact and easy to get around in using public transportation. Busses and trains.

I like Antibes or Nice as a base. NIce is larger....Antibes is smaller...with a terrific Marche' (farmers market) and a lovely old town. Cannes is an OK spot to visit....take a trip from there to the Isle Lerins....good fun!

Villefranche is worth a visit....take a walk from there out to Cap Ferrat.

Monaco is tiny and is crammed full of high-rise apartment buildings.....it would fit inside NYC's Central Park. Not a big fan...

Slighly inland (but really easy to get to) are Biot, Tourettes sur Loup, Valbonne, and Grasse.

You can likely get a great deal on a vacation rental in January. Check here...

homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r616

What else can we help you with?

David

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

The good thing about January is that you can travel almost anywhere on the Cote d'Azur without crowds. As datthecoast says bus and train is a great way to get around, at least on the coast - very cheap ( buses only 1 euro anywhere). But even driving and especially paking is not the nightmare it is in the summer. You may need a car to visit some of the perched villages in the back country around Nice like Tourette sur Loup altho icy roads can make driving at altitude hazardous ( these are the roads where the famous Monte Carlo Rally takes place - not without good reason.)

January can see heavy downpours but clear sunny anticyclonic weather and blue skies are normal and you can sit out on a sunny terrace for lunch a lot of the time. But when it rains on the coast you can be sure it is snowing inthe Alps where there are ski resorts less than 2 hours away from Nice.

I agree with datthecoasts assessment of Monte Carlo but most travellers want to see the Tiny Fairy Tale Principality out of curiosity. Give it 3 hours at most and then pass on to Villefranche or Eze.

I am not qualified to help on your transatlantic question but Delta fly directly into Nice from New York and they regularly advertise cheap winter fares on the radio here ( going the othet way).

Ed

Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

Hello David,

I really appreciate your quick response and your advice. I had no clue what cities to use as base before reading your advice. Yes, we prefer to use public transportations. Thanks for giving me some nearby city names. That would give me some ideas when I GOOGLE them on-line.

Ed,

Thanks a lot for your advice. Your suggested itineary in Monte Carlo (especially the 3 hours..) gives me a clear idea how to plan the trip.

Thank you both.

Thanks,

Sheri

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

Sheri...happy to help! Here is some vacation rental info if you choose to go that route...

For NIce...

homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r615

For Antibes...

http://www.homeaway.com/search/keywords:Antibes%2C+France

David

Edited: 10:41 pm, November 09, 2012
5. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 02, 2013