We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way from Antibes to Florence, Italy in June 2011

london
Level Contributor
96 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest way from Antibes to Florence, Italy in June 2011

We are trying to figure out how to get from Antibes to our hotel in Florence on the same day.....we'd like to leave our rental home in Antibes after the check out time...12 noon.

I'm surprised that the train is not an option. It's almost like being back in the United States.....YOU CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE"!!!

It's only 208 miles....I could almost walk it in the time that it takes to RIDE the train!!! HELP!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way from Antibes to Florence, Italy in June 2011

If you are willing to spend the extortionate charges incurred for renting a car in France and dropping it off in Italy, the 285 mile car journey will take you more than five hours, plus any time you spend at stops on the way, so maybe six hours.

The fastest train journeys take around 7.5 hours, though to leave around 12 it will take around 8.5 hours. And these trains take a much longer route, via Milan. http://www.tgv-europe.com/ will give you a through booking from Nice, though for some reason not from Antibes even though most of the trains from Nice it uses also call at Antibes 30 minutes earlier …ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mande… And it may be advisable to leave Nice/Antibes 30 minutes earlier than suggested by the website to ensure the connection at Ventimiglia if the French train arrives late.

Trains by the shorter route via Pisa are usually slower and with more changes, but can be significantly cheaper. For this route, see http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html for Ventimiglia-Florence, and buy a local ticket for €9.50 for Antibes-Ventimiglia (the tickets are OK for any train until validation as these trains have no reserved seats).

The final route is to take a cheap flight by easyJet or Blu-express from Nice to Rome, then train to Florence (around 2.5 hours from Fiumicino Airport train station including a change in Rome). In theory you might manage the journey in around six hours this way if flight times and connections are good, but this needs checking out properly, and I think easyJet flights usually arrive too late in Rome to get to Florence the same night.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,337 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way from Antibes to Florence, Italy in June 2011

Sorry, not final route. There are also direct buses from Nice to Florence, though these usually either depart or arrive at remarkably unsocial hours http://www.eurolines.fr/ENG/?lang=ENG

And note that train times aren't available for dates after June 12 when schedules change.

Edited: 12:40 pm, February 20, 2011
london
Level Contributor
96 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way from Antibes to Florence, Italy in June 2011

Thank you so much. I just posted another request and then saw your reply. I will check out the sites you've mentioned! Merci

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way from Antibes to Florence, Italy in June 2011

What did you end up doing for your route from France to Italy? We are planning a trip last week of Jan flying in to Rome traveling to Florence and we would love to go to Monaco but it looks to me like it is hard to get to from Italy. I am wondering if it is easier from Paris? Any info from your trip would be great. Thanks,

5. Re: Easiest way from Antibes to Florence, Italy in June 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, October 12, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Monte-Carlo