We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monte Carlo during F1 week

California
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monte Carlo during F1 week

We arrive in Nice on May 24, and planned a tour of the French Riviera on the 25th. Was notified tour company can't go to Monaco-Monte Carlo during our stay due to the Formula 1 race. They suggested Menton instead, but we don't want to miss Monte Carlo and are F1 fans, so the race preparations might be fun. My question is will we be able to go by train? Do you need to make a reservation for a day trip to/from Nice? Are sights still open, or should we just avoid?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,117 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

First of all, you don't need a tour to visit the Cote d'Azur.

It's easy to DIY..

Thursday is practice day....you'll need tickets to see anything.

Not sure if you can get tickets still....doubt it.

If you can....you MUST be prepared with ear plugs AND ear dependers.

You can go by by train.....you can't make a reservation.....it's a commuter style train..

Monaco is tiny and it is quite "disrupted" by the race.

A lot of site lines are obscured by the very large grandstands.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

Great advice from Datthecoast as always, except that for the last three years, the noise has been drastically reduced due to new rules for F1. There are new rules again this year, which may bring back some of the noise, but I suspect that only ear plugs or ear defenders will be necessary, not both.

I think you probably will still get tickets for Thursday practice, check online at acm.mc. Or you might consider coming on Friday 26 instead, when racing is in the morning only (no F1, but GP2 and other racing) and completely free of charge. The streets reopen at about 2pm on the Friday, so you can walk the circuit in the afternoon.

On Thursday and Friday, everything will still be open, though the Prince's Palace will close for the weekend from mid-afternoon on Friday.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

There are still plenty of tickets left for the Thursday F1 Practice Session. Tickets cost Euro 75 and you can buy the tickets once in Monaco. There will be small tickets offices selling tickets on the Thursday at Rue Louis Notari, Allée Lazare Sauvaigo and Boulevard des Moulins (infront of the Tourist Information Office), all open from 7.30am.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,299 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

No reason you can't do both Menton and Monaco on same day. Trains twice an hour from Nice, fare is 5.30 euro each way to Menton and you can break your journey anywhere on the line without extra fare.

I agree with datthecoast Monaco is not especially attractive during the preparations for the Grand Prix with hoardings everywhere, but you can certainly compensate with Menton and a dinner around the beautiful harbour at Villefranche on the way back.

Ed

California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

Thanks everyone. We got tickets on Thursday and will plan to take the train.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

Moth you seem to be the person who is on the ball for Monaco. I am looking to sell 6 tickets for this coming Grand Prix 2017, Sunday 28th May. I have gone through all regular platforms and have them at a very appealing price. Is there anyone/company's in Monaco who would buy for resale and at such a short period of time until the event? Many thanks in advance

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

I don't know of any resellers except for the Automobile Club itself - and that works only if you bought the insurance.

There isn't a huge market for last minute tickets for the GP, because flights and hotels cost a fortune at the last minute, and most people would rather wait until next year.

If you don't have the ACM insurance, you're probably best off taking the unappealing price offered on those regular platforms. I do sympathise, I had friends cancel at the last minute one year and learned my lesson the hard way - I never fail to buy the insurance now.

8. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:11 pm, May 24, 2017
9. Re: Monte Carlo during F1 week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, May 25, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Monte-Carlo