We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monaco-sites that are a must see

11 posts
Save Topic
Monaco-sites that are a must see

In Monaco from may 5th thru may 16th. What sires are a must see? Would Rome be day trip or should we plan on spending a night or 2 there? I only speak English, will I be able to communicate? Any advice on anything would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,139 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

Oh my gosh.....

Do you realize that Monaco is the second smallest country in the world?

It is less than one square mile.

The entire country would fit inside of New York City's Central Park.

Most people will see all that there is to see in Monaco in less than 4 hours.

And you are there for 11 days?

Are you there for a Grand Prix related reason?

If not.......you are in for a BIG surprise.

Rome is NOT a day trip.

I'd suggest that you look at a map.

Edited: 1:13 am, March 15, 2017
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

From Monaco the train line connects you westward to Nice, Antibes, Cannes etc and Eastward to Menton and Ventimiglia just over the border to Italy. Google map is your friend.

You could certainly very easily fill your time in this area and still not see a fraction of what there is.

Rome would be over an hours flight away and in no way a day trip . If you want to visit there maybe split your holiday into two destinations.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

To North Coasts list I would add beautiful Villefranche, minutes from Monaco. Also the village of Eze with fabulous views although inundated with tourists. You will have no trouble with English, Monaco is a very international place . English is probably the second language to Money.

Whatever possessed you to think of Rome as a day trip? If it's just an Italian experience you can be in Ventimiglia in half an hour from Monaco.

Ed

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

If you're serious about the side trip to Rome, allow at least two nights, more if you've never been before.

houston, texas
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

I am staying in Monte Carlo for 8 nights and off to Rome for 4 nights. It is NOT a direct flight for me (Nice/Frankfurt/Rome). Agree It's a long time in Monaco but will hopefully venture to other areas since I'm already booked.

There are only a couple of places I want to see in Rome after spending 3 days in Decemeber. Much more interested in Monte Carlo so I'm spending as much time as possible....

Hoping to get some great ideas on train trips during my long stay in MC ( ?TA folks?)

12 days and counting - so excited!!

11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

Okay i didnt do a very good job of describing our time frame. We're in Monaco from may 8th to the 13th. We've decided to spend may 5th to the 8th in Rome. We're looking for thoughts on where to go from the 13th to the 16th..Venice? Is there a good way to travel from Monaco thru Pisa to Venice? Just looking for ideas. Appreciate any thoughts.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

May 13 is the e-Prix, in case you're interested.

There are direct flights to Venice from Nice, half an hour away. Unless you have a particular reason to go via Pisa, you will spend your whole day on the train or on the roads.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,726 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

And if you did have a particular reason to go to Pisa, you'd be better going there from Rome. Pisa is from 2h 20 away from Rome (by the fastest train at 06.05) and around six hours away from Monaco.

The fastest way from Monaco to Venice by train is with one change of train in Milan, taking from 7h 15. Though there are direct flights from Nice six days a week on EasyJet which would be several hours faster.

11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

Our only reason for going to Pisa is to see the tower. Our dilema is trying to see the tower and Venice in our time frame of may 13th to 15th. Is taking the train to Pisa then on to Venice doable or that not practicle. Seems like we'd be do nothing other than sitting on a train the whole time but...we really want to see the tower and canals. Thank for any input!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,726 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Monaco-sites that are a must see

Taking the train from Rome to Pisa and then on to Venice or vice-versa is just about possible, though it'll add at least two hours on trains to what is normally only a four hour train journey, plus the time taken to go and see the tower (allow two hours for this for comfort), and you'll have to travel on three different trains as opposed to one direct train.

Taking the train from Monaco to Venice via Pisa is a very bad idea. It's theoretically possible, but you'll spend at least 9.5 hours on trains, with changes at Genoa and Florence as well as at Pisa.

If you wish to go up the tower, advance booking online is essential.

Get answers to your questions about Monte-Carlo