We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monte Carlo sightseeing Nice tour.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Monte Carlo sightseeing Nice tour.

I'll be visiting Monoco in February 2015 and I have 5 hours in Monte Carlo. Is it possible to visit Nice and come back? Please guide me with possible options by bus or train. How much it will cost?

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
278 reviews
1. Re: Monte Carlo sightseeing Nice tour.

Will you be on a cruise ship? Five hours is a very short time, but yes it is possible to get to Nice and back by bus or train at that time. The bus costs €1.50 each way and takes the coast road, while the train is faster and only a few euros more.

If your ship is leaving at a certain time you will need to be back on board early and to be on the safe side, I would allow an hour each way for travelling (although the train journey itself is only about half an hour). With such a short time remaining to enjoy Nice, ask yourself if it's really worth it. You can easily spend two or three hours looking around Monaco and enjoy a leisurely meal in your five hours.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Monte Carlo sightseeing Nice tour.

Thank you for your help.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Monte Carlo sightseeing Nice tour.

i do day trips like this a lot. I often take 2 planes instead of one so i can break my journey at Schiphol and do a trip out from the airport. I do a lot of day trips from Nice by bus or train that involve tight scheduling and give me very little time in the destination that many people would consider crazy.

I would say no - it is not realistic if it is 5 hours from disembarking boat to getting on again , unless you take a taxi one way. I would opt for taking a taxi direct from boat to Nice to maximise the time to look around and IMO you would need to start heading back to boat 2 hours before your deadline.

Timings- 10-15 mins walk from boat to the bus stop 20-25 to train station - each way.

Bus to Nice -50mins to an hour and 10

There is a 15 min gap between buses [in practise can be more of a gap and 2 coming at same time - depends on traffic esp at monaco end ]

Train 22mins /roughly 2 an hour -if taking train you need to take into account

walk or tram to old town area - allow half an hour each way .

If i were planniing this, i would prepared to take a taxi at both ends [and therefore sufficient cash available], have bus and train times printed [and checked that there are no strikes the day before, a plan of my route via google maps , exactly what i want to see/do and an idea of rough walking times and options to cut things short if necessary.

I would alos carry snacks and water with me , since there is no time to have lunch etc apart from a sandwich in the park or on beach.

My most important piece of advice is never minimise how long a walk is going to take in a strange place and always have a back up plan. Any delays at the start end can make a huge difference

Edited: 1:23 pm, July 20, 2014
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Monte Carlo sightseeing Nice tour.

Note the train and bus timings are one way

5. Re: Monte Carlo sightseeing Nice tour.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 22, 2015