We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips to Limassol etc??

Scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trips to Limassol etc??

Hi, no doubt thomsons do excursions and I'd be happy to hear if any of these are worth it but, gaving never been to Cyprus before, I wonder if there are any 'service' buses to Limassol or where you would recommend for a 1 week 1st trip?? Also, is car hire essential? Thank you!

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

You'd be better walking round the travel offices. There are, so far as I know, three companies which actually provide excursions, but they're sold at varying prices by the excursion shops.

I'd go for an excursion going to Northern Cyprus, to see a completely different face of the island. Both Kyrenia / Bellapais and Famagusta/Salamos are worth visiting. There's also a very nice, short trip, going by various names, on which you visit three or four different places fairly near Paphos, from Aphrodite's birthplace to he bathing pool.

We also did an excursion to Curium and Limassol, and I'm afraid we weren't too impressed by the latter. To be fair, the entire seafront was behind large boards, because it was being re-developed. It may well be better now.

With only a week, I'd personally resist the temptation to do a lot of excursions, but your attitude may be different. If I had to choose, I'd go for Nicosia and Northern Cyprus, plus the "local villages" one.

Edited: 7:00 am, July 01, 2014
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

You can get a public bus from Paphos to Limassol - as well as Nicosia, Polis, etc. I can't remember the exact prices but very inexpensive.

Trisha

Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

It is E7 day return from Pafos to Limassol and it takes about ! hour.

The bus leaves the Karavela bus station up in Pafos Town and you get off the bus at the Big Anchor by the Sponge Museum and "not" at the bus station.

The bus timetable is on www.intercity-buses.com

The local bus services are on the pafos buses web site.

If you sort out your tours as soon as you arrive then car hire isn't necessary since the Pafos buses are cheap and reliable

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

I booked my holiday with http://www.jewelsofthemed.com/ and they were awesome, however, it takes a bit long for them to answer the phone if you need to ring them for any reason, probably their customer service is lacking personnel...

Yorkshire/Paphos
Level Contributor
283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

I would disagree with SuburbanSurbiton. Northern Cyprus is interesting in its own right and deserves - to my mind - more than a day.

However, for a short first trip there is so much locally around the Paphos region that I would not, personally, choose to go so far and spend so much travelling on this occasion.

As pointed out, you can get buses to Limassol, also to Polis (on the coast north of Paphos, including Latchi, the Akamas, Baths of Aphrodite etc.)

You can get to Pano Panagia (birthplace of Makarios - with museum) by local bus; also the local Episkopi, with its Environmental Information Centre and a great taverna. Also Ayios Neophytos Monastery available by bus.

There are, of course, the Mosaics, Tombs of the Kings and other archaeological sites in Paphos itself.

If you want a trip into the mountains and, perhaps, Kykkos monastery, then you will need an organised tour or a hire car.

It really depends on what interests you but there is much available locally to keep you busy and entertained!

CL

swadlincote
Level Contributor
494 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

Car hire would be the best bet

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,078 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

If you do go to Limassol be sure to visit the new marina. I have to say my favourite trip is up into the mountain villages and Nicosia.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

You can also get a shared taxi into Limassol cheaper than a tour they will pick you up from where you are staying and drop you off where you want to go at times to suit you .I would get dropped off at the marina then walk over to Limassol castle .the number 30 bus will take you up and down the sea front road if you wish to go further.

I agree with Twigs on Nicosia and the mountains we love the Omodos village. Yes Thompsons will have excursions but at a trip of price you are better off booking at a local tour agent they have guides. I would also recommend polis-lachi see pafosbuses.com

It is better if you could hire a car but some people cannot drive or do not wish to for various reasons. Julie

http://www.travelexpress.com.cy/Home/Fares

9. Re: Trips to Limassol etc??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 08, 2016