We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

manchester, England
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

Hi We are staying at the avanti village in August and have read some reports about safes being broken into. So was toying with the idea of getting a per paid credit card. (The ones that have replaced travellers cheques). As these give better rate than withdrawing own money from bank account due to charges. Are these widely accepted and used in paphos does anyone know?

England, United...
Level Contributor
935 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

They are just a widely accepted as any credit or debit card. You can also use them to get cash out of ATMs.

If you want the cheapest and most secure method of spending and withdrawing cash abroad, have a look at the Halifax Clarity credit card. The only cheaper options I can think of involve opening an account with either the Norwich and Peterborough BS or the Metro Bank. A bit of a faff hough.

We use a Clarity CC where accepted (petrol stations, supermarkets etc.) but, to be honest, most restaurants and bars seem to prefer cash,

UK
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

I use a Caxton card and transfer money onto it as and when I need it while I'm in Paphos and then go down to the cashpoint to draw it out.

www.caxtonfxcard.com

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

You'll find pre-paid cards accepted in all the same places you'd be able to use a regular credit card... in fact, to the retailer there's no difference. I've used Caxton's card worldwide without any problem including in Paphos. And all ATMs accept them.

I wouldn't recommend prepaid cards for hire car deposits or for paying for petrol at automated pumps. In the case of the pumps, they will 'reserve' say €100 before you use the pump and its only later when they process the payment that the actual cost of the fuel is billed to your card and the €100 released (which can, sometimes, be 30 days later). Just to be clear, they don't actually take this money but it will temporarily reduce the funds available for you to spend... a bit of a shock if you don't have much preloaded beforehand. With a regular credit card this doesn't matter so much because its only reducing your credit limit temporarily, not your actual funds.

Otherwise, they are highly recommended and a safe way to budget without worrying about exchange rates while you're away.

Chippenham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

Have used a pre loaded Euro card from Ice Plc for the last two years and will again this year. It is backed by Mastercard so accepted pretty much everywhere. I would recommend this method.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

Another endorsement for the Caxton card.I have found it very useful all over the Euro Zone,and it has saved me money.

6. Re: Pre paid travellers credit card widely used?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 14, 2014