We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

I am a former Expat who is now stuck in UK looking after parent. My CYTA sim expired due to inability to top up from UK. I want to buy a MTN sim but I need a phone as soon as I arrive. Does anyone know if they are on sale in the shop in Pafos airport? If not I can get from a newsagent in Geroskipou or town, I spose.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

I was told that my CYTA So Easy sim was top up enabled from anywhere as long as my Cypriot friend bought me a top up and messages me the code. Mine runs out in May.

Why don't you use an old phone from the UK or buy a cheap mobile here from Tesco and get it unlocked before you go and then buy a sim as soon as you can? There is a small shop at the airport but it seems to sell alcohol, cigarettes and sweets. I'm not sure about anything else.

I had to get my original sim from the CYTA shop in Paphos, but top ups are available anywhere; supermarkets, newsagents etc.

Phones sound more problematic so you would be better getting a cheap one in the UK. There are lots of market stalls that do unlocking.

I'm not sure if any of what I've written is helpful to you but I'm now wondering if a trip to Cyprus is on the cards for me. I can't stand the thought of having to get a new sim etc.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Well that maybe the case now, but it was not the case in 2010 because I tried doing it, both on their website, and by calling them. They told me that I would have to ask someone in CY to buy a top up card and do it that way. Noone was in CY at the time except work colleagues so the card expired. I had that number for 6 yrs so was a bit miffed.

Thank you for your response but you have not answered my question: Can I buy a MTN sim from PFO airport? I don't want a CYTA SIM ever again because MTN is cheaper and the SIM does not expire if you dont top up.

I dont need an unlocked phone cos I already have several.

Thanks anyway.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Oh sorry- I've never seen a shop selling SIM cards at Paphos so I can't be of much help. I didn't know about MTN which seems a better bet than CYTA. Hope someone else will sort out your queries.

I just thought an unlocked phone would mean you could buy a sim more easily but maybe not.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

It's alright, thanks anyway for at least replying- noone else has!

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Hi I have just googled where to buy them. You can order them from amazon.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Hi I have just googled where to buy them. You can order them from amazon.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
784 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

I was going to say I can check shortly when I will be at Paphos but Barkinmad seems to have a good answer for you.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Thanks Barkin mad but I dont have time now, I fly on 3 march,

Cypriotpal if you could let me know before then that would be fabulous. Thanks both. :-)

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Hi I have just googled where to buy them. You can order them from amazon. Just to add I checked out amazon the supplier is in the netherlands. May not be worth it

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MTN sim cards-Pafos airport

Hi, i have cyta sim card which i would happily get rid of. I just returned from cyprus last week and do not need it anymore...it was just bought for having internet while on holidays so no one have this number and you wont be bothered by unknown callers ;-).