We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Burnham-on-Crouch...
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Hi,

We are visiting Paphos in Cyprus this May and have the hotel sorted, but want to know what to do and where to visit that would be suitable for someone in a wheelchair.

My wife likes picturesque fishing villages and pretty market places but we would also want to see as much historic stuff as we can within the limits of where her wheelchair can travel.

Any ideas please?

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

It would be useful to know where you're staying. For example, on the west side (Kefalos Beach Village, say) there's a very nice footpath along the coast, down to the harbour. I understand there's also one along the southern coast.

From what I remember, the seafront and the streets behind it a fairly level, and it starts getting slightly steeper after the street that Debenhams is on.

Burnham-on-Crouch...
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Thanks for responding John - we are staying at the Avanti Village which I think is on the East Side, but we have a hire car and quite willing to travel anywhere within say a 30 mile radius, or further if it's worth the drive.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Wheelchair access in Cyprus is work in progress and many areas particularly the older urban areas are difficult but the Mayors of Paphos and Limassol are working to improve matters. In Paphos the area around the harbour and the main archaeological site has good access. The sites at Kourion are also accessible and Limassol Old Town area is well on the way to meet needs. New shops tend to meet requirements but actually getting to them may be difficult. If shops needed My Mall at Limassol covers access needs.

Sadly the disabled parking bays are not respected by the motorists and pavements where they exist are obstructed by parked cars. In more areas barricades are being used to prevent pavement parking but there is a long way to go on that.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

A trip over to Latchi and Polis maybe - lovely views both ways. Latchi has a marina and modern flat walkway with cafes and restaurants- just set back from the road. Polis has a pedestrianised square- not as flat but should be ok

Its a long time since we visited the Roman mosaics in the centre of Paphos harbour - hope someone can tell you if there is wheelchair access ..

Burnham-on-Crouch...
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Thanks - I hadn't thought about shops so thank you.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Up on Troodos a few kms down the B9 from Troodos Square to Nicosia there is a path that is signed as suitable for wheelchairs with a stunning view to the North down the Solea Valley and a bit further there is a botanical garden that gives views to the South.

Burnham-on-Crouch...
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Thanks - do you know what Paphos is like for public toilets? I'm assuming there aren't disabled toilets all ove rthe place.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Some good info there.

Also try a search. At the top of this page you'll see the SEARCH box. Type in 'Disabled' and press <<return>>.

The results will show in random order. At the right of the new screen you'll see Search By. Change 'Relevence' to 'Date and the list will change to date order with the most recent first.

You might [or might not] get a few more useful tips by doing that.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

Hi if you go to the bus station near to Paphos harbour there are some very nice newish toilets, but can't remember if there is a disabled one. I know that in the middle of the main strip in Coral bay there are some public toilets and I think there is a disabled one there. Most of the restaurants have there toilets up stairs, so hope it doesn't cause too much of a problem. Barbara

UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Paphos with a wheelchair user

There is a public disabled toilet in the block by the changing rooms on the seafront by The Seagull restaurant, however this is locked at night. Some restaurants have tried hard with access but the ramps are usually too steep if trying to push yourself. The restaurants and bars that have accessible loos are rare as lots of them are upstairs but it's getting better by the year. I have a wheelchair using child and pretty much nowhere is off limits to us. There is an amazing coastal path which we usually walk from the harbour all the way to the Tombs almost. We have been to lots of villages, up to Troodos and all over the island to the archeological sites with no real problems.