We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Paphos

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from Paphos

Hi, every one, got back from 2 glorious weeks staying at the Aloe Hotel Paphos. Weather has been fantastic, hotter than other Septembers when we have been, temperatures around 31 degrees. Our stay at the Aloe hotel was very nice and better than we thought as we had read some 'iffy reviews

We were pleased to see that our favourite restaurants were still busy, Romantica, Les Amis, Adelaida and Viva Cyprus. But sad to see that the Brothers restaurant had closed down. We have only been there once but met some people 2 years ago who went every night so they will be sad to see it closed. The new deck cafe near the Alexander the Great is very nice for lunch or something to eat in the evening. You can watch the lovely sunsets and see all the lights over the harbour.Finally got to eat at the Ocean basket at the Avanti village plaza and it was very nice. As we were in a good location with a beach near by( used the one directly infront of the Alexander the Great hotel as it wasn't as busy as the municibal beach to the left) and lots of lovely restaurants we never used a bus once this time, so it made a nice change.

We went down bar street a couple of times and it was sad to see lots of the bars closed down. We used to love walking down there and see it so vibrant, not any more.

Pleased to say that Paphos airport check in was very efficient, we have never been through so quick and our flights there and back were both on time. So now planning next years holidays.

UK
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Paphos

Hi Barbara

Many thanks for your feedback, I've still got 10 days to go before flying out to Cyprus but you've got me excited! I've walked past the deck cafe many times but have never ventured inside, I'll try and pop in on this visit. Looking forward to the smell of Cyprus as you step out of the aircraft and to the 'bell' on the sweet cart at Viva Cyprus!

Regards

Gary

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Paphos

Hi Gary, hope the weather stays hot for you as it was for us. The Deck Cafe serves a nice range of food, but that evening we just wanted something simple. so had burger and chips(,not the fast food burger), and when they came they were very large and the chips are served in little frying baskets, the type you would put in a fish fryer but smaller, very cute.

The bell on the sweet trolley at Viva Cyprus is still going strong and I think is one of the main attractions of that restaurant, as it was quite busy. Let us all know about your holiday. Barbara

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
541 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from Paphos

Hi Barbara

We are off on the 10th. First visit for 5 years. Glad to hear 2 of our favourites still on the go...Les Amis and Adelaida. Must go restaurants for us.

Glad you enjoyed. We are back again May 2013.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from Paphos

Hi, swfc2455, I think the best meal I had over the 2 weeks was at Les Amis( just don't tell the hubby as he thinks I am a traitor as he loves The Romantica )and it was the special of the night, Pork cooked in Calvados with Apples.(Tuesday) I am still drooling. it was closely followed by the Salmon special, on Fridays.

The Adelaida has now dropped its price to 25 euros for the 3 course meal plus full bottle of wine so very good value as the food seemed just as good, and the service was a bit quicker this time. If you are staying around that area they have improved the coastal path that runs from the triangle area right in front of the Alexander the Great towards the harbour. So that will be new for you. Plus you have to get off at the new harbour bus station if you want to go up to the Coral bay area and so catch another bus. So you will need the 3 euro bus ticket.Hope you have a great holiday. Barbara

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from Paphos

I am enjoying reading everyone's reviews of the restaurants. Our family is (from the US ) and will be going over the Christmas holidays for two weeks and will be staying near Paphos for one week-are these places reasonable or really high end? Thanks for any tips/help as it appears that Cyprus doesn't have alot of US tourists?

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from Paphos

We don't see many US tourists in Cyprus and I'm sure you'll be made very welcome.

All the restaurants mentioned in the above posts are reasonable. Some close in winter but there will be plenty going on for you to enjoy your visit to Paphos.

Happy travels!

Trisha

Chorley
Level Contributor
665 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from Paphos

Excellent report Barbara nice to see not much has changed. Never stopped at the Aloe but its in a great position though. Brothers restaurant closed around five or so years ago and re opened as a leather shop, a few years later it opened again as Brothers. Over the last few years when we have past its always been quiet, sign of the times i'm afraid. I don't think it helps them having the excellent Viva Cyprus next door and if your'e walking towards the harbour its the first one.

Not made it to Paphos this year, it was a toss up this month between Paphos and Nerja and the shorter flight won. Will be back next year though.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from Paphos

@Missindy<<<We don't see many US tourists in Cyprus and I'm sure you'll be made very welcome.>>>

The people who bought our house in Peyia were from Austin, Texas!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from Paphos

hi barbara,we have just come back from paphos and had a great time.we have been going to the same place for 17yrs.i am pleased you mentioned the beach in front of the alexander hotel yana and her husband really try hard to make the beach clean and will do anything for you it is well worth going there rather than the main beach.pleased you enjoyed your holidays can,t wait til next year

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back from Paphos

Hi Molly b, yes you are right about Yana and her husband working so hard to please people on the beach. Moving sun beds, umbrellas, clearing sea weed away( it wasn't too bad only a couple of days) and their lovely dog was quite a character. I can't believe we have only just discovered that beach, as we always went to the one at the side. That is getting really crowded and when we went for a walk along that beach just to see what it was like it seemed very scruffy with lots of rubbish around.So Yana's beach really impressed us and their were matresses on the beds and the umbrellas were nice and big as you needed the shade as it was very hot. Look forward to going there again. Barbara