We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never use Europcar, if you are please read

Which Paphos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
middlesbrough
12 posts
Save Topic
Never use Europcar, if you are please read

Subject: City Sightseeing Paphos

Title: Never use Europcar

ID#: 117657394

Never use Europcar,I hired a 1.6 Ford Focus to pick up at pathos airport, which cost another 93 euro to fill up with petrol ( Ford say the tank holds 53 litres, you have to pay this at the airport before you can drive away ) and airport tax. Take away the airport tax 12 euro ,this leaves 81 euro times 53 = 1 52 per liter, The price per litre at the time of hire in Cyprus was 1.21 euro After a few complaining e-mail’s this was the last I received.

Good Morning , ** *****

I thank you for your further response.

As I have explained, there is no individual price set for each vehicle.

Our prices are fair and include a small service charge.

The vehicle supplied to you had a tank capacity of 55 litres not 53 and you were charged at a rate of €1.43 a litre which is including the service charge.

I would like to assure you however that we take all comments and complaint seriously and by listening to our customers feedback enables us to identify and address any shortcomings and ensure that the high standard of customer care are maintained.

Unfortunately these are the terms and condition which you signed and accepted.

I thank you for your comments, however I am unable to help further in this case.

Kind regards

Customer Service

Europcar Cyprus

The part that says,these are the terms and condition which you signed and accepted.and Our prices are fair, is misleading because you do not know at the time you will be charged 22 cent`s per litre over the real price.

57 replies to this topic
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

We used Europcar in May through Easyjet and even though we had a trivial complaint as our radio did not work (we like to listen to local radio). they actually changed our car without any hassle. so no complaints from us..

Ipswich, United...
1 post
Save Reply
42. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

Booked a Toyota RAV 4 ...or similar via Holiday Autos, who then sub-contract to Europcar. On arrival was allocated a Suzuki Jimny.....and that is not an "equivalent". Plus the 4 wheel drive would not engage...leading to a tricky moment on Lara Beach!

Wouldn't use either company again!

Manchester, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

I agree NEVER USE EUROPCAR.

In April 2014 I was given a hire car by Europcar whilst my vehicle was being fixed at the garage. I understood and agreed to the terms and conditions that if it was not sent back with a full tank of fuel then there would be a charge.

£50 deposit for the fuel was handed over on the day of getting the hire car. However, even though the hire car did go back with a full tank of fuel (with photographs, petrol receipts for evidence), Europcar have said that the vehicle needed 13 LITRES of fuel for the vehicle to have a full tank. This is untrue as the vehicle was only used to go to the shops etc and it did go back with a full tank of fuel as shown by the photograph to them.

Europcar are currently holding the deposit for the fuel as they do not believe that it was sent back with a full tank of fuel. Europcar took from the 9th May until 21st May to 'investigate' the matter but did not get in touch with myself regarding the photographic evidence. All it seems that they did to investigate the matter was ask the person who picked the vehicle up and send us a PDF document which only says £15.70 - how can this be deemed an 'investigation'? After they 'investigated' the matter, they sent an email basically saying that the money will not be given back and that the case has now been closed.

I have been on the phone to Europcar to tell them that the petrol tank was full and that I have photographic evidence that the tank was full. The only reason the vehicle could have needed 13 litres of fuel is down to their driver driving it that far once the vehicle was picked up! However, Europcar are now apparently starting a new case and 'investigating' it again - meanwhile they are still holding on to the £50 deposit since April 2014 and no doubt gaining interest on this money.

I do not recommend having anything to do with Europcar! If you unfortunately have to have a hire vehicle from Europcar, I highly recommend taking photographs of the fuel tank etc but even then it seems they still do not believe you.

It seems that if Europcar do not pay back the deposit of £50 as the vehicle was left with a full tank of fuel and I have evidence to prove that, the only route is to take them to the small claims court / Watchdog.

middlesbrough
12 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

Looks to me that there driver drove around at your expense.there must be able to see this,another rip off.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

Europcar are complete crooks - just been charged £170 for a tank of fuel. I was running late and didn't have time to fill the tank prior to returning. Just called customer services and was told the receipt for fuel was £70. Been charged £100 for someone driving the car 50m down the road from the hire office at Kings Cross to the fuel garage (literally is 50metres). Will never use Europcar again. You can say it's in the contract to charge those rates for fuel etc etc - but is it reasonable and fair? Or are Europcar cashing in on people like me who have to return the car in a hurry and dont' have time to refill.

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
46. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

Europcar are complete crooks - just been charged £170 for a tank of fuel. I was running late and didn't have time to fill the tank prior to returning. Just called customer services and was told the receipt for fuel was £70. Been charged £100 for someone driving the car 50m down the road from the hire office at Kings Cross to the fuel garage (literally is 50metres). Will never use Europcar again. You can say it's in the contract to charge those rates for fuel etc etc - but is it reasonable and fair? Or are Europcar cashing in on people like me who have to return the car in a hurry and dont' have time to refill.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

Amazing -has someone just moved Kings Cross (London ) to Cyprus ?--

48. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:42 pm, September 18, 2014

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Reply
49. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

EUROPCAR RUBBISH SERVICE WHILST RIPPED OFF AT PAPHOS AIRPORT CYPRUS.

Picked up a Picanto 26.4.15 at night, just given the keys and told to go and find the car in a car park of a hundred cars, with the minimum directions (seen similar couples wandering around the car park aimlessly searching for their europcar) nice way to start a holiday, I don't think. Anyway after getting one of the office staff to find the car, we left after about three quarters of an hour messing about. Also realised later in the holiday we were well ripped off on petrol. Tank will only take maximum 45 euros but charged a crippling 65 euros 30% overcharge (which we had to pay up front). Nice work if you can get it. The car was part of a package with Thomsons therefore we were a captured customer of Europcar. Therefore as you cannot bring a car back "empty", Europcar make the money on the residue left in the car plus 20 euros. WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!!! Gerry 16.5.15

Edited: 10:32 am, May 16, 2015
Hull East Yorks
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Never use Europcar, if you are please read

This is not only europcar. It seems all the car hire companies are like this in Cyprus . We arranged to hire one at the airport ( not europcar). But it turned out it was off airport, extra charge to pay , as I have broken my ankle we hired it for 8 weeks thinking it was the easiest. It cost us off Airport fee, tank of petrol ( could have been filled up many times for the cost ) plus we had to leave a deposit via credit card . This deposit was refunded on return but it cost us none sterling fee x2 . Think they try to rip off tourists so we are very wary of car hire . May I add we hired cars in Australia with Europcar with no problems .

Reply to: Never use Europcar, if you are please read
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paphos
Recent Conversations