We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Avis Paphos

enfield
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Avis Paphos

I hired a car with Avis through Carhire 3000.

I collected the car from Paphos airport car park at 3am. It was dark at this time so I couldn't inspect the car.

When I began to drive the car I realised the poor condition.

The next morning I checked the car and found quite a few faults.

Both front tyres were worn down to the minimum tread indicator.

There were several scratches and a dent in the door. The dashboard had 2 large cracks in it. The fuse holder cover was missing. The ariel was missing. The engine would rev up when the clutch was pressed. Whining noise from rear axel and squeaking breaks.

When I reported the faults the Avis staff were unhelpful and uninterested in sorting out the problems.

I was told that I would need to take the car to a local garage to have the tyres replaced, which I refused to do.

I was very surprised by the poor service and overall age and condition of the car, considering Avis are supposed to be are major car hire company.

I was also charged 72.00 euros for a tank of petrol when the actual cost of a full tank is 50.00 euros

I would avoid using this company.

Windsor
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

At least you got a car! We arrived at Paphos airport having pre-paid for a Ford Focus sized car through carhire3000 and were presented with a tiny Suzuki Alto instead. This was too small to fit the 4 of us in along with our 2 suitcases and 4 flight cases! Avis could not provide anything bigger so we had to get a taxi to our villa at a cost of €70. We ended up hiring a car from a local hire company. Quite frankly the Avis staff could not care less! I will never use Avis again anywhere in the world.

swadlincote
Level Contributor
494 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

We hired our first car in Cyprus with Avis , never again! We experienced something almost identicle worn tyres etc; we even complained to the internatioal head office but still no interest.That was ten years ago and with three visits a year they have certainly lost out on lot of money!

Southport
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

We had something similar with a car from Avis at Larnaca airport - tatty, gutless with no ariel and got ripped off for a full tank of petrol.

The woman at the desk was extremely unhelpful, she just provided a phone number for complaints, rather than an address to send something in writing.

Also when we took the car back, there was no one there to check it, just the person on the desk to hand the keys back to.

It's only little things, but you'd expect better from a large multi-national company.

boro
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

On my 1st trip to Cyprus,Thomas Cook kept pushing it about using Avis for car-hire,for what they wanted for a ford focus 5 seater,I got a 7 seater zafira off economy cars.£240 for Avis,but £200 for Economy cars,it was in top condition also.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

Yep

I rented a vehicle and my tyres were worn well down

Bald

The first junction I pulled out of the Terrano back end slipped out

Was filthy

E40 for half a tank but its a big vehicle

Dents and scratches all over

An average rental car in Cyprus

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

'An average rental car in Cyprus' - Think you're being kind to Avis, swss :)

Windsor
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

I agree with Alassia, we used PETRIDES RENTALS in Polis - the car was clean and in very good condition even though it had done 60K, so they clearly look after their cars...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
663 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

The last time I used Avis C.Y was 10 years ago inspecting the car I found , bald tyres,door and boot seals hanging outside the car and rear windows that would not close,my daughter had rented a car from A.E.D.A. in Limassol and it was almost brand new, I point blankly refused to drive the car even when asked to park it elsewhere by the receptionist, after agreat deal of hassle they eventually gave me a new Lancer, but I have never and will never give AVIS a second chance, this year by contrast we hired a brand new Mazda 2 from Chris car rental down by the harbour in Paphos near Debenhams a nice wee car with fantastic service,not cheap but well worth the money, will be back again next year and will use Chris again

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

I am not sure but it might have been Avis i sued a few years ago

Not sure

I too was given car about 4 classes less than what I booked

And with 120,000 KM on clock bald tyres etc

I know the car would have been a MOT failure in UK and I refused to take it,

took a taxi and picked one up next day on TOKR

They still billed me and refused to pay me back

I issued them court proceedings at the Paphos district court

They still didn't pay so I took an order to block their VISA machine

and that did the trick. They could not process credit cards for a few days.

west yorkshire...
Level Contributor
142 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Avis Paphos

Just back from Cyprus. Pre-booked our Europcar in the UK to pick up at Paphos airport....what an apalling selection of scrap heap bangers! Scruffy inside & out with more knocks/dents/scratches than would fit on the damage section of the Europcar document. The cars were so old that the AC was hardly functioning which wasn't helpful when the temperature was well into the 30's c

After refusing the first car they tried to dish out to us, not what we had pre-ordered & hardly roadworthy, they found us something 'slightly' better.

We were shocked that a company like Europcar would run such a fleet & wonder are the hire car's in Cyprus run to the ground by a lot of the companies because the right hand drive vehicles are more expensive to replace out there??