We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free shops

UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
duty free shops

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me if the duty-free shops stay open at night for all flights.

Our flight leaves about 11pm and wanted to buy some duty free.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you

Cyprus
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free shops

Since Cyprus joined the EU in 2004 there is no Duty Free. They do however have duty paid goods that are still cheaper than UK. Especially cigs, spirits and wine.

Your allowance is significantly higher than pre EU.

Paphos airport has a small but well stocked shop which should be open at the time you will be there.

Louise

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free shops

Cigs are cheaper, wine & spirits fractionally but to be honest with some of the deals you get in the UK now at the larger supermarkets its hardly worth bothering bringing it back. Perfumes & cosmetics just as cheap, if not cheaper, at John Lewis in the UK.

UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free shops

Hi Kath,

Thanks for that... to be honest, it's the ciggies I need prices on as I'm bringing back 1 years worth! I usually go to other greek islands and they are quite cheap there.

Somebody did tell me that in Cyprus they are about 33 euros per 200 and about 38 at the airport. If I can get the pricibng sorted out, it could save me quite a lot on avoiding overweight luggage charges. If you haven't more info, please let me know. many thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Cyprus
Cyprus
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free shops

Sorry, meant "if you HAVE more info..." lol

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free shops

Last year I paid 19CYP (approx 31Euros) for 200 Embassy & 21CYP for Superkings - not sure what they will be this year but I find the resorts are slightly cheaper than the airport. There was a report many many months ago on TripAdvisor that someone had bought a load of ciggies in Paphos at a very cheap price only to find when they got back to the UK they were fakes so only buy from a reputable outlet.

UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free shops

Buy from Theos, next to Papiantonios behind the harbour, they will be genuine and cheapest.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free shops

I wouldn't bother to buy cigs in resort and pack them in your case cashmad, as we did this last year and had them all (4 cartons) stolen from the case. We are pretty sure this happened the Paphos end as we had a long delay on the flight. Now we either don't bother at all or we buy them at the airport and keep them with us.

UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free shops

Thanks for that Robbersdog, same thing happened to me last year coming back from kos, but not sure whether it was at Kos or Manchester. I think this year, I'll probably pay the bit extra and buy at the airport, plus it will save on any "overweight" charges. Easyjet is now charging £6 for every kilo overweight, plus £10 for every extra suitcase. Thank God there are 3 of us going. Between us we should get them at the dutyfree/paid shop and on board no problem!

Thank you everyone for your help and advice, much appreciated, now roll on August!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
9. Re: duty free shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 24, 2009