We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buyuk Hamam?

Which Nicosia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Buyuk Hamam?

My partner and I are travelling to TRNC in April to get married, and fancy a traditional Turkish bath experience, with massages etc. I've read about the Buyuk Hamam in guidebooks, but also read that it closed for refurbishment in 2010, and can't find out for definite if or when it reopened. Has it reopened, does it provide a good traditional experience rather than a generic spa day that we could have over here, and is there any information available about opening times, going in as a couple etc (I read that it was ladies only on Fridays, but don't know if that still stands)?

Don't ask much, I know! ;)

Thanks for reading,

arch

Slovakia
Level Contributor
94 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

I visited Buyuk Hamam in Lefkosa approximately 2 years ago. They were reconstructing long time, but they should be open now. I didn´t make any appointment with my partner, we just walked in and asked if they are available. At the time of our visit, there was no one besides us, so it was very relaxing.

The whole hammam experience - scrubbing, washing, foam massage was really good, almost as in Turkey. The massage (full body) was provided in other building, so we had to walk out of the Hammam and go approximately 5 min. to the massage building. The full body massage was OK, not as in Turkey, where they move all your muscles :)

This place is not a fancy place, this place is a an old historic building, where you can get old traditional massage... nothing more, nothing less.

Edited: 4:45 am, December 02, 2012
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

Thank you, that's really helpful!

It sounds great - just what we want, good massage and nothing fancy.

Thanks again,

arch :)

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

Announced on local news today, It has reopened

www.brtk.net/index.php…

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

Brilliant - thanks for that link. Sounds good! Thanks again :)

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

Update

They've their own website now, mostly in Turkish though

http://www.grandturkishhamam.com/

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

Fantastic, that's really helpful. I'm using Chrome to translate the pages, so am generally getting the gist of it. Thank you!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
317 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

We had a similar experience in Tunisia a fair number of years ago and the final part of the bath included a liberal massage of crushed chilli into the shoulders and knee joints. Hot and tingly after the scrubbing down but a wonderful experience.

Would be interested to hear your findings if you go.

We often pass by there when we cross through at Ledra Street from the Republic to the north of the green line as we always visit Buyuk Han (Great Inn) which is literally around the corner from there.

It was originally an Ottoman travellers inn but more recently converted to house small local craft and art shops plus a small cafe. It's a really lovely place to visit and has a nice atmosphere.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

I'll be sure to post about it when we've been. Going to ask our wedding planner to help us book it to make sure that we get the treatments we're after - she's better with Turkish than I am!

The Buyuk Han is lovely - I went the first time we went to TRNC and we almost stumbled on it by accident I think. Will definitely be going back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

visited the place in January 2013 - it has re-opened... and is being run by the American University Directorate.. Telephone ( english spoken) +357 5488300881 their website you have from previous replies...

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buyuk Hamam?

Thank you - that's really handy.

How did you find the experience? Did you have treatments?