We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

Over the last twenty eight years I've gone to Nicosia every year on business and every time I've been disappointed with the standard of the hotels. Without exception the rooms have been dingy, scruffy, smelly, with poor wifi and inadequate AC. I've tried the Holiday Inn (horrible) the Hilton (nice public areas, horrible rooms) and a couple of others. It strikes me that all the hotels were built in the seventies and this becomes more evident when you drive through some of the coastal resorts and see all those worn out seventies tourist hotels. The hotel business is terribly competitive and Cyprus's recent economic troubles haven't helped so very little upgrading or maintenance is happening and things are in slow decline as they wear out.

So does anybody know of a small B&B or hotel in Nicosia where I can get a clean, fresh, bright room and good AC? If it happened to be close to a reasonable family-run restaurant that would be a bonus. I don't want anything fancy, just something decent.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

I agree with you about hotels in Nicosia, and I can only really comment on Paphos, but IMO standards are better on the coast.

Have you looked at airbnb.com?

Trisha

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

Only recently opened but getting good reviews, a short walk across the border http://www.cypriotswallow.com/

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
358 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

This place also has great reviews: http://www.sandstonecyprus.com/ Never stayed myself but the location is perfect for sightseeing and nightlife

UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

Thanks, it looks fresher but unfortunately it has to be in a location that's convenient for my agent to pick me up in the mornings for work. I would be happy to walk but at the moment it would be inconvenient. Maybe once the two halves are reunited, things will get easier.

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

Hilton Park?

UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

Hilton Park is the one I mentioned in my first post. It's in a quiet, convenient location and the public areas are quite smart. However the rooms are horrible, really gloomy, dull, worn out and smelly. Maybe there are some rooms that have been renovated since the place was built but I doubt it, the way the Cyprus economy has been in the last couple of years.

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

In your first post you said Hilton. The big Hilton in Nicosia entrance is used for all official foreign delegations visiting Cyprus and would seem odd that they would be given dingy scruffy rooms.

UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

Gosh. I'm embarrassed to admit that in all my visits to Nicosia I had not realised that Hilton and Hilton Park are two different places. Thanks for the heads-up; on my next trip I will book the Hilton (as it's not much more expensive) and see if it's up to a higher standard. Thank you!

Edit: some of the TA reviews of Hilton Cyprus are less than complimentary as well!

Edited: 9:01 am, January 12, 2017
Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
83 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

Some friends stayed in The Classic Hotel in 2015. Looked refreshingly modern to me but I can only compare to hotels anywhere but Nicosia since I live here ;)

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
158 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there ANY hotel in Nicosia that's not old and worn out?

You don't mention when you are visiting but just wanted to clarify that the Hilton is located in a central area of Nicosia whereas the Hilton park (modern nice pool area, well kept) is located 15 mins to the center with traffic. The Hilton Park is not as outdated as the Hilton and you'll probably like it more!

Get answers to your questions about Nicosia