We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off the beaten track

Which Larnaka City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
off the beaten track

we are staying in pervolia in june and have hired a car so was wondering if anyone knows of any nice places to visit that are off the beaten tourist track,we love exploring new places.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: off the beaten track

HI, I would suggest a visit To Zigi, Choirokoitia Kalavasos, Touchini, Skarinou, closer to Larnaca is the village of Ayia Anna.You could visit Lefkara, but that is touristy with locals trying hard to sell their stuff.

It is also Worth driving around the Troodos Mountains.Julie

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
989 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: off the beaten track

Hve a look at this http://www.visitcyprus.com/ as it might give you some ideas. Any particular interests to help you a bit more?

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: off the beaten track

thanks....we just love doing the rural villages and eating where the locals eat..oh and we like churches too.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: off the beaten track

Try the Olive Mill at Skariniou for food.

In Larnaca town the Church of ST .Lazarus is worth a look.

In Kiti the next village to Pervolia only a few minutes drive have a look at the Angeloktisti Church, and the Hala Sultan Tekke on the salt lake near the airport is worth a visit.

There are a few churches worth a look in the Mountain villages the Church of the Holy Cross in the Omodos,

also Kyokko,s Monastery .

Larnaka City, Cyprus
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: off the beaten track

I like the villages around Zygi, Choirikitis and Kalavassos as well. Zygi has great fish restaurants, but beware - it's mobbed with local families on Sundays. Choirikitia and Kalavassos both have very interesting Neolithic ruins open to the public. Kalavassos is an exceptionally pretty village, as is Tochni, which also has good restaurants. The Tochni Heritage in the village is open for lunch, and so is the Feggaropetra, or Moonrock, which is set around a nicely landscaped pool behind the olive press in Choirikitia. Zygi's fish restaurants are also open all day

Enjoy!

Megasy.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
989 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: off the beaten track

I would just add Katodrys on the above. The wine villages in Limassol district is also a good choice. In an area 5-10km round Pervolia there are several churches. The most important one is as suggested Angeliktisti, in Kiti, an 11th centrury church, built on the ruins of an older church, with mosiacs dated back from the 6th Century. A few more small churches can be found in Tersefanou area ( next to Kiti) such as Ayias Marinas church ( on the village centre- the small one, however) and Ayios Georgios Church near Tersefanou/ Kiti Dam. I need to check however if these are open daily.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: off the beaten track

If you go to Kato Drys then there's a couple of new-ish wineries nearby which welcome visitors and have tastings.

The first is on the road to Kato Drys and Pano Lefkara, about half a mile before the Kato Drys turning. It's a long low building on the left hand side of the road and is visible as you drive up the hill. The second is beyond Kato Drys on the road out towards Ayia Minas convent. Again on the left hand side and visible on the drive down from Kato Drys.

Happy exploring!

manchester
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: off the beaten track

we went to a monastery which sold the most tastiest honey ever but for the life of me i can't think what it was called but i know we came off a main road to it and then went onto visit a hotel for luch near kalymnos beach which wasnt too far away,the monastery also had a chapel with gold paintings over the walls and at the entrance to the road leading into it it had two paintings on the wall and i think one was off what looked like george and the dragon.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: off the beaten track

@poppiecat1964

That was probably Agios Minas; the nuns are famous for their honey and there are icons for both St Minas and St George at the entrance portico.

manchester
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: off the beaten track

thats the one...thank you ... need my fix of honey !!