We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from greek to turkic cyprus

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
travel from greek to turkic cyprus

the cheapest route for us is to fly into Paphos and fly home from Larnaca. Is it difficult to cross the border? Can we take our rental car from Paphos to Larnaca? thanks.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

I assume that you mean that you want to fly into Pathos then cross into the North for your holiday and then return to the South and fly from Larnaca. So there are 2 questions:

1 Not many hire car companies allow their cars to be used in the North, if you do find one then you are likely to have to buy extra insurance when you cross. There are plenty of posts in the Forum about this but very rarely if ever does anyone come and say they did it and how it went. Certainly at the crossing point the insurance sales booth shows rates for hire cars so some hire cars must cross. Some answers have been just go, buy the insurance and hope for the best, if anything goes wrong then there could be a major and expensive problem. To cross is not a problem for you, just the car. You will need passports and remember that your EHIC will not be valid in the North.

2 You will need to check that your hire car company will allow you to hire at Pathos and return to Larnaca, it is not a question I can remember being asked before, I would hope the large companies will allow but I have doubt that the smaller companies will do this.

Edited: 9:28 am, November 10, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

It is definitely possible to cross and some car hire companies allow this, whereas others say they take no responsibility (although they can't actually stop you). Irrespective, you will need to buy third party insurance at the crossing point and also have visas issued for every member of your party.

Do a search on the forum, as this has been discussed before and all the information given.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

Please correct me if I misunderstand the original post - but, as there is no border between Paphos and Larnaca you can definately take your hire car from one town to the other. The difficulty arises if you want to take your car from the Republic of Cyprus to the occupied territory (Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus).

Trisha

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

Presumably the OP is planning to holiday in the occupied part of Cyprus, since they're specifically asking how to cross the border.

Either that, or they've not looked at a map.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

I'm confused about exactly what the OP is asking!

Trisha

hull
Level Contributor
142 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

I think the OP thinks Larnaca is in the ilegaly occupied north.

As he/she ask if they could take there rental car from Pathos to Larnaca.

debjar dont worry Pathos and Larnaca are both in the south so no problems.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

There seems to be a bit of confusion here! Both Paphos and Larnaca are in the Greek Cypriot government controlled south of the island so assuming you are holidaying in a resort in the south there would be no need to cross the green line. Most rental cars will allow you to collect the car from 1 airport and return it to another although there may be an additional charge for this.

However if you are staying in the occupied North of the island most major rental car companies do not allow you to take the car over the green line- if you do you will not be insured for accident, theft or breakdown so this could be risky. I have seen on other posts that some companies do now allow you to take vehicles over to the other side but i would recommend you check with them if you plan to do so.

8. Re: travel from greek to turkic cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 15, 2011