We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Bury St. Edmunds...
8 posts
Save Topic
Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks to Kyrenia and am taking my elderly mother who has difficulty getting around. She uses a mobility scooter in the UK but I have checked with the airline and it will be far too expensive (excess baggage allowance comes out at £200) to take it with us. I'm looking to hire a wheelchair over there. The travel agent has been unhelpful and the hotel not much better. Has anyone come across this problem before and did they manage to resolve it. Any help/advice would be really useful. We will be hiring a car for a few days but need a wheelchair for mainly getting around the hotel grounds aand possibly walking down to the beach front.

dumfries
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

I don't know the answer to this, I have emailed my mum as she lives out there. There are a couple of people who live there and post regularly, so they might be able to answer your question.

Bury St. Edmunds...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Hi there, Thank you. Local people are usually the best source of information so hopefully your mum may know. I will keep my fingers crossed.

dumfries
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Mum says she thinks the British legion does it but will find out. She also says that the airlines do not charge for a wheelchair.

Bury St. Edmunds...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Great. Thank you. I will check with the airline again as I'm sure they wanted to charge excess baggage irrespective of equipment. Look forward to hearing more. Much appreciated.

dumfries
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Spoke to mum she says that there is no one that rents out there but she could get one of the organisation to lend you a wheelchair or she suggested if you don't have one that the Red Cross here rent/loan wheelchairs. Who are you flying with and into which airport? If you are going with Turkish airlines to ecan there is no problem as they take the wheel chair on board and it is at the bottom of the steps when you get off so no walking. If it is into the south not sure as we don't go that way. Which hotel are you staying at as mum will check what they have there. Talk soon.

Edited: 7:35 am, May 25, 2013
Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

TRNC Healthcare should be able to help, contact them on trnchealthcare@gmail.com

Bury St. Edmunds...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Hi there, sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Thank you so much for all your assistance. We are flying with Onur to Ecan. I have called our local Red Cross office and left a voicemail but not heard anything to date. If your mum wouldn't not mind at all (and only if it doesn't put her out of her way) we would really appreciate her asking one of the organisations locally. We would be more than happy to make a donation. We are staying at the Malpas hotel - arriving late 17 June - if that is of any help. THANK YOU.

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Kate C , as per post 6 TRNC healthcare are a local organisation and do loan out wheelchairs, email contact as above.

Bury St. Edmunds...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Hi Thank you for the email. I sent an email yesterday but not heard back as yet but it is early days.

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disability Assistance in Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus

Failing that the Local Cheshire Home should be able to help +90 392 815 3767 / 3771

Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia
Recent Conversations