We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

owners direct

bradford, west...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
owners direct

We booked an apartment in Peyia last year. Be careful if you are thinking of doing this. We were very dissappointed. Didn't realise it was about half hour walk to ANY amenities. There wasn't even a cafe anywhere near the apartments. When we left we had to get changed in the gym, and then wait for our lift for the airport in the shelter of a vacant apartment as there was nowhere to sit. no shelter whatsoever from the baking sun. We left the apartment about 1pm. We thought we would wait until the cleaner came as at least we could sit on the balcony. I went for a swim and the cleaner came. My husband said she was very rude to him and phoned Martin, the manager. He was also very rude because we were still in the apartment, although all our luggage was outside already. We just had to get ourselves out of there. My husband overheard the cleaner saying that we had "used all the sheets". Of course, we changed our sheets after a week, what else were we to do??

Martin was very helpful over the course of the holiday. He told us about different places we could go, and also lent us a coffee percolater. loved being near Coral Bay though, it was stunning. He then tried to charge us £20 for the loan of it, and also told the owner that we left the apartment in an unclean state. We would NEVER do that, we are respectable people. He said there was a spoon missing and footprints on the couch. She tried to charge us £50 for these things, and because we didn't vacate by 12pm. The apartment looked as though it hadn't been finished off. Nowhere to put your items in the bathroom, light fittings bare.

We had to pay her £20 in the end, but I refused to pay £20 for the loan of the percolator.

It has put me off booking with Owners Direct again, you just don't know, and the advertising is not true. You cannot see Coral Bay from the apartment, it is miles away!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: owners direct

I've used owners direct many times and never been disappointed.

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: owners direct

Hiya,

Unfortunately not everone has the same moral standards.

If this owner treats customers like this regularly then I doubt they would ever receive any repeat bookings, daft under this current financil climate.

We rent our proerty in Paphos via Owner's Direct and our own website.

We try to be as accommodating and honest about the maisonette, location & facilities as we can. I believe most owners do too.

My advice if booking a DIY is phone the owner, speak to them, judge for yourself and ask as many questions as you can think, even if they seem daft or obvious.

If the owner is misleading you in their advertisement, then you may be able to find this out by probing questions.

Such as:

Distance to beach, shops bars & restaurants.

If our property if vacant the next day, then the departure time is flexible, at no extra charge.

Ask about air-con and additional charges that some owners add on.

Ask for a location map and check out on google earth actual distances to facilities.

Basically, look for recommendations, testimonials etc but speak with the owner and get a feel of the person you are dealing with.

Pleae do not let this one bad experince put you off as DIY holidays do give you more choice and flexibility with your holiday.

Good luck with future plans

Stewart

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: owners direct

We have booked through Villarenters site for a DIY holiday this year in Cyprus, we were nervous booking, but the site allows previous bookers to leave a review and also gives the owners scores based on reviews and booking process - I was very impressed by this an were able to book private accomodation that had very candid comments about it that tied up with teh owners comments on the website. So fingers crossed (we leave end of July)

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: owners direct

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your bad experience with owners direct, I have used this site and holidaylettings.co.uk and never had a problem , mind you there is always one bad apple in the cart,makes the site look bad for honest owners. We have always followed the advice Stewart has given. Please try not to let this put you off, we have rented some lovely properties at a very good price.Julie

Stirling
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: owners direct

Beware hidden costs 23rd OCT 2011

We have recently returned from renting property CY1650 In Polis, from the Owners Direct Website.

The property was adverised with air conditioning and Satelite TV and only 10 mins forn the village centre( it is at least 20 from village and 40 from the beach).

On our arrival late on the Saturday evening we recieved a handwritten note to say the TV was not working and a letter staing there should be no splashing or jumping into the swimming pool ( we had well behaved 8 and 10 year old children with us and because of this only visited the pool on 2 occasions ) there were also no remote controls for air conditioning units.

The following day after a poor sleep with no AC we tried to contact the cleaner about the AC and TV,she lived on the complex and therefore instead of using and expensive mobile tel call we went to her apartment -she was not in. The following evening my husband was able to operate the AC manually however of the 2 units we tried one was very smelly and the other started leaking water all over the bed.Luck if we got 3 hours use out of them.

After a further bad sleep we tried to contact the cleaner again with no success.

We gave up after this and tried opening the windows with the fly screens these did not fit properly and we all end up wth some pretty nasty mosquito bites.

Having no TV meant early morning trips to a cafe to watch the rugby World Cup games.

On leaving I left a note for the cleaner about the AC and the TV also reporting we had broken one glass.

On my return to the UK I emailed the owner requesting confirmation that he had destroyed my cheque for £100 deposit for breakages/loss of keys and updating him on the issues that need resolved before further rentals. I was not looking for any compensation for no TV/AC.

I was very shocked to find out he had cashed it.

He stated we had used too many towels ( additional towels were used to mop up water from faulty AC unit).

The house was left in a 'Bad state' and windows needed cleaned !!!' ( probably this upset me most as we had cleaned the house emptied all bins and swept the floors. ) we were charged for cleaning!!

We had broken the AC which we should have paid for by contacting the cleaner ( we tried !!! ) 60 euros

We were charged 5 euros for the glass which was only worth at the most 1.

A repair to the shower which was broken when we got there.10 euros

It was also reported to the owner by the cleaner that the TV was working normally which was not the case, why did she leave us a note to contradict this .

Since cashing the cheque the owner has also changed his website page with cost for AC and that the propery is not suitable for children and distance to beach etc.

The owner is relying on the integrity of the cleaner,who has gained in monetary terms from this.

We are now in dispute with the owner.Our honesty has not paid off. I don't think he would have ever know about the AC units being used or noticed one broken glass if I had not told him.

PS the cleaners husband is the handyman, and taxidriver the owner advises you to use from the airport ( to top it all they are British EX pats makes me so proud)

PPS We had already paid the owner for an additional night so that we could use the house until 4pm on out departure date as we were being asked to vacate the porperty at 10am even when we could not access it before 7pm on arrival.

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: owners direct

Hiya,

It is a shame that a couple of you have had a bad experience using Owner's Direct. As I posted earlier, there are always unscrupulous peolple in the world.

However, there are thousands of happy holidays taken each year through Owner's Direct and you should voice your anger through them if you do not receive satisfaction from the Owner.

As stated previosly, I would suggest asking probing questions, look up the location of Google Maps and measure distances yourself or ask questions on forums / websites like this for additional information.

I would imagine that most owner's, like me, want their customers to have the best time ever, but even if the destination is not what the customer had envisaged, as long as the accommodation was perfect and not misleading.

Ideally, we all want repeat bookings and for our properties to be recommended, via word of mouth or via forums and websites by good feedback.

Good luck with your 2012 excursion!

Regards

Stewart

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: owners direct

Do you know if the owner of the property has a licence to let the property, Pjyar?

There is a serious problem with unlicensed establishments, in Cyprus, mainly because they can bring the country into disrepute since they are 'operating under the radar'.

Many people seem unaware, or ignore the fact, that property lettings of less than 30 days are not permitted, in Cyprus, unless the owner of the property has a licence from the Cyprus Tourism Organisation. That way, the properties are vetted and supervised.

For anyone thinking of renting a property in Cyprus for a holiday, it's worth establishing that the property is being rented out legally.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: owners direct

pjyar,

I would assume properties being rented to the public would have additional insurance cover for fixtures, fittings and contents as well as public liability insurance?

Surely the proprietors must have informed their insurance companies that the properties are being let to tourists? If so, the charges applied to you for 'breakages' seem arbitrary?

Perhaps some owners can clarify this for us?

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: owners direct

hi sorry you had a bad holiday , i use holiday letting.co.uk. and have allways had a good repore with them .we booked a flat in larnaca it stated it was 5 mins from beach it was in fact 2 mins from the beach overlooking LAZARUS CHURCH the flat was next to the post office ,the greek lady who owns it lives in hertfordshire uk and i live in essex which was very handy ,the flat was as stated on the net,we had been warned the church bells could be loud but with the doors closed it was fine,we will be booking this flat again,i hope this has helped.

REGARDS PAUL

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: owners direct

It is such a shame when a holiday that you have looked forward to, saved for etc then turns out to be not as expected/advertised.

We have used most of the UK rental sites for holidays throughout the world with no problems. We only book with an owner with a UK address, google the property for location etc (look at photos on their advert particularly swimming pool and you can usually find it on google earth if owner doesn't give exact address) , read recent reviews and fingers crossed have a great holiday.

Try contacting the advertising site (Owners Direct/Holiday Rentals/Holiday Lettings) and give them your feedback/experience as, although not responsible for the actual advert, they would want you to continue using their services.