We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

redditch
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

Hi I will be staying in Fuzeta for a week in august and I am keen to see some of the birdlife in the park Ria Formosa. I do not have transport. I have found a company operating a boat trip from Tavira. Is there an easy way to get to the Parque itself on public transport? I understand there is a hide there. Any information as to how I might best spend a day or half a day birding would be welcome. Thank you

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,532 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

There is a reasonable weekday train service between Fuzeta and Tavira but no direct buses. Very few trains at weekends.

Timetable www.algarvebus.info/006.htm

The station at Tavira is about half a mile outside town and quite probably even further from where any boat trips might start from.

The Parque Ria Formosa is a huge area stretching right to the border with Spain. The railway runs only a short distance inland and the little stations at places like Castro Marim and Monte Gordo are very close to some of the marshy areas where the birds may be lurking. But those areas look dangerous to me, from out of the train window, with all sorts of tidal pools and channels.

There's a good article with pictures on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ria_Formosa

You can also take a little ferry across the water from Fuzeta to the island but I don't know what's there.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

No need to go that far!

Just East of Fuzeta, you will find Quinta de Marim Environmental and Nature Conservation Center, which forms part of the Parque Natural da Ria Formosa.

"In a small information kiosk visitors can obtain details of the Ria Formosa lagoon region, its flora and fauna and also general information on matters concerning the environment and nature conservation.

There are temporary exhibitions, an auditorium and library and a pleasant cafeteria. When walking around the area visitors can inspect various agricultural and fishing techniques which are rarely seen elsewhere, including, for instance, an old tuna fishing boat (barca de atum). The tidal mill (moinho de maré) is especially interesting; it is the last mill of its kind to be used since the Middle Ages. In the east of the area the remains of Roman salination plants have been unearthed."

In this park you can also find a bird rescue center which belongs to the association RIAS. Quite interesting to visit! http://rias-aldeia.blogspot.pt/ (you could use Google Translate for translation to English)

For organized trips: …lands.pt/birdwatching-in-the-algarve-ria-fo…

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

I forgot to add this nice downloadable booklet, which is offered by the Algarve tourist info: www.visitalgarve.pt/pressroom.file.php…

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

I seem to be a bit slow today :)

but just remembered I had a flyer somewhere.

From Fuzeta there are birdwatching boat trips:

passeios-ria-formosa.com/en/…

redditch
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

thank you, this is most helpful

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

By re-reading my post I realise that Quinta de Marim is WEST of Fuzeta.

Not sure if you're still here, there's a nice new booklet from the tourist information. You can buy it as a booklet in their office or download: www.visitalgarve.pt/pressroom.file.php…

Enjoy!

Edited: 6:36 am, August 17, 2013
redditch
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

Hi Many thanks for that - we go Tuesday and I have just downloaded the relevant bits from the booklet you mentioned. thanks!!

8. Re: birdwatching day trip from fuzeta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, May 17, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Fuseta