We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Luxembourg during Labour Day

Nijmegen...
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Luxembourg during Labour Day

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine and I (both 16 years old) are planning to go to Luxembourg from Monday 29 April to Friday 03 May by train. We want to go to a youth hostel in Luxembourg City. But we found out that on 1 May it's Labour Day in Luxembourg, and most of the shops, musea etc. are closed. But that was the only thing we could find on the internet.

My question is: are there plenty of things to do on Labour Day in Luxembourg, or is just everything closed? As an example: if we want to go to a rural area and hike a bit, will there be a restaurant or cafe open to drink (and eat) something? And because we go to Luxembourg by train: what is public transport like during holidays? Do we have to stay in Luxembourg City?

So does anyone have tips for us to do that day, or shouldn't we visit Luxembourg on labour day?

Thanks in advance!

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Luxembourg during Labour Day

Most of the museums seem to be opened (but check their websites). Shops (including supermarkets) will indeed be closed. Not sure about restaurants and cafes, but I'd guess most of them will be open.

Trains and buses will probably run on a Sunday schedule. It should not be a problem to leave the city, but check the times of the last train/bus in advance. You can use www.mobiliteit.lu to look up train/bus times, but for now, you can only look up times until the 30th of April.

2. Re: Visiting Luxembourg during Labour Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 28, 2014