We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

Which Luxembourg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
13 posts
Save Topic
Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

What is the cheapest way to go from Arlon to Luxemburg? When do the TEC buses go and how much are the tickets? Can I buy them on the buses? Thanks in advance!

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

The train costs 10 euro one way. The bus costs 4,25 euro, if I'm not mistaken. Tickets can be bought on the bus (but not on the train).

Trains run once an hour.

Buses run at very irregular intervals. The schedule are available here: www.infotec.be/index.aspx… Just type 'Luxembourg' in the search field, and look at the schedules of all the lines that cover Luxembourg-Arlon in the right side of the screen. If you give me the date and estimated hour of your travel, I can give you the exact times.

Brussels
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

Hi,

I see that Route 66 have a tobacco shop in Windhof, Lux., just over the border from Arlon.

Is there any way to get there by bus or taxi?

The website only gives directions for driving.

Thanks,

Sue M

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

Windhof is called Wandhaff in Luxemburgish (and for time table purposes). You can get there by public transport, but only with a detour through the city of Luxembourg. From the train station in the city, there is bus 222 that stops in Wandhaff. See www.mobiliteit.lu for timetables.

Also, I think prices of cigarettes in Luxembourg are everywhere the same? Is there no cigarette shop closer to the station?

Brussels
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

Hi,

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

I will be coming from Charleroi Airport, from where there is a coach to Arlon.

Route 66 are a couple of kilometres over the border.

I was hoping to avoid going all the way into Luxembourg City.

I e-mailed the shop for help with travel, but no reply.

A taxi might still be cheaper than a night in a hotel - difficult.

Since I live in Yorkshire, even the flight from Manchester Ryanair involves a lot of travelling. Perhaps you know a cheap B & B in Luxembourg?

Thanks again,

Sue M

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

I'm a bit confused. Are you just flying over to get cigarettes, or is your final destination Brussels, or some other place?

The only cheap place in Luxembourg is the youth hostel: http://youthhostels.lu/

Apart from dorms, they offer single and double rooms, and in general seem to be of quite high quality for a hostel.

Brussels
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

Thanks for that.

Trying to do the round trip in a day - Leeds - Manchester-Charleroi seems to be the easy bit!

I'm a pensioner, so might not be welcome in a youth hostel.

The ferry from Hull is still an option, if the sea isn't too rough this time of year.

Sue M

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

Are you able to make the 6:25 departure from Manchester? If not, I don't see how you are able to make a round-trip in one day.

If you make the 6.25 departure, you should have from 12.40 to 14:20 at the Luxembourg station, if I calculated the times correctly. Are you looking for a specific brand of cigarettes that is not available anywhere in Luxembourg? If not, you can go to any of the tobaccos around the station.

The youth hostel is open for people of any age (they explicitly state so on their website). If you require nothing more than a bed, I think it is really the best option.

There is public transport to Wandhaff, but only from the station, the city center, and Steinfort, so that does not help you.

This is the only taxi company I can find in Arlon, maybe you can ask them for a quote: http://www.taxischmit.com/ I think it will be at least 25 euro one way.

Edited: 6:13 pm, January 26, 2013
Brussels
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

Hi Matt,

Could you please advise me?

Is it possible to get a direct train from Arlon to Luxembourg City for the 10 euros you quoted? Does the Flibco bus stop neat the station?

A different forum suggests going to Brussels North for the Luxenbourg train,

which would add two hours.

I am looking for two or three people to share the journey, since a rent-a car in Charleroi costs from 40 euros for a day, and would be the perfect solution.

Failing that, the hostel sounds ok.

Thanks

Sue M

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

The flibco bus stops at the station in Luxembourg, but not at the station in Arlon (about 1.5 km distance). The train is now 10,40 euro one way (there might be discounts for return tickets), but I don't see how it helps you in terms of time or money. Similarly, there is no point in going to Brussels North to either save time or money. The fastest and cheapest way from Charleroi airport to Luxembourg city is really the flibco bus.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buses/trains from Arlon to Luxemburg

By the way, I just found out that there is in fact a bus from Arlon over Wandhaff, but it runs very infrequently: infotec.be/PDFtemp/PDFgen-H-X9802--b118db518…

The bus officially does not stop in Wandhaff, but it does stop in Hagen and Capellen, and Wandhaff is in between them. I think that if you ask the driver nicely, he will let you leave in Wandhaff. To take the bus back, you can walk to Hagen (2 kilometer).

But then again, the schedule is so limited that it probably will not be of much use.