We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Faroe Islands

Newcastle
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Faroe Islands

I'm planning to go to the Faroe Islands next year. I'm only really at the very early stages of looking into it and want a bit of very basic advice. From the UK, what is the best way to get there? It seems that most flights go through Copenhagen and could be the cheapest option compared to going via Iceland. I was originally going to try and combine the trip with a visit to Iceland but it looks as though it would be easy enough to spend a week there. However, it's clearly not a cheap place to go to so time may be governed by how much cash I'll be spending. I suppose my questions are,

what's the best/quickest/cheapest way to get there?

When is the best time to go in terms of things to see/price/chances of getting stranded?

Is self catering the most cost effective option?

Any help would be useful thanks.

Fudgelumper

93 replies to this topic
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

A google search tells me that Atlantic Airways fly from Stanstead to Faroe.

www.atlantic.fo/Default.aspx?pageid=7238

There is plenty to do and see to occupy a week.

We visited in 2007 and had self catering accommodation which was cheaper than a hotel (and had a washing machine). There is a large and good supermarket in Torshavn.

We visited last week in May, before the tourist season got going. It was trying to snow when we arrived and there was still a bit of snow lying which soon melted. It turned into a beautiful week. Spring was only just starting and there were daffodils, bluebells (the garden variety) and tulips in flower all at the same time.

Faroe Islands
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

Atlantic Airways, the local faroese airline has 2 flights pr week between London, Stanstead, and the Faroe Islands.

www.atlantic.fo

try visit www.greengate.fo an incomming travel agency in Faroes.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

Greengate Incoming is well recommended. I have used them for all of my bookings on both of my visits to the Fareos. My contact there (John) is a most efficient and pleasant man with a wealth of knowledge and information.

If you have the time to combine Iceland in you plans, it is well worth it. I did this both times, It is expensive, but who cares. Well worth it. My first visit 2010, I had 10 days in the Faroes and 9 in Iceland. It was not enough, and I returned again in 2011. This time I had 18 days in Iceland traveling the Ring Road with a Private Guide, and another 8 days in the Faroes during Olavasku. Try it you will not be disappointed

Newcastle
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

That was my original plan but then realised that for the time I have, it's worth doing one or the other. I'll do Iceland at another time. Checked flights and it seems that from May/June, the direct flights start from Stansted.

I am looking at staying in Klaksvik first off. I can only find one youth hostel and the klaksvik hotel. Any recommendations of alternatives?

SE Pa
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

There is also a campground in Klaksvik. You need to obtain the keys to the kitchen/bathroom from the tourist office in town; evidently there have been problems with vandalism or unauthorized use. The grounds are adjacent to a day care center and nearby a small wooded natural area. I think they were charging $20/night though so I opted not to stay there. There were no other campers there in July.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

Klaksvik is a very beautiful area. I am sure you will be aware it is really easy to get around the Faroes. The bus services are special. Have you considered staying somewhere else and finding out if buses will transport you where you want to be. Have fun!!!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

Yeah, that has crossed my mind. Any suggestions in the North?

Birmingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

hello

i am from the Faroes and I recommend that you go in Mid-July as then you get the nice weather and 24 hour sunlight

You can also catch a summer festival which is on at that time of year.

I would not necessarily recommend going the last week of July unless you book very early as this is Olavsoka in Thorshavn. It is an amazing weekend with people wearing national costume and traditional dancing - but hotels get booked up very quickly.

My biggest recommendation are the following:

definently, definently if you can rent a car - smaller villages have very bad connections.

go to Gjogv, Kvivik, and Saksun villages for traditional grass roof houses

Gota has an old wooden house preserved as a museum

stay a night on the Island of Mikines - probably the biggest recommendation

if you can book a sailing trip with Nordlysid schooner for a grotto concert

go to the Northern islands - they are the most dramatic

dont wear full on walking gear - Faroese people are Scandinavian and dress up a lot - I would recommend a nice stylish wind/waterproof jacket, decent walking boots, neck warmer and a decent hat

I would also recommend bringing one of those padded seat things gardeners use - good for sitting in coldb oats

Alos, I would recommend the books of William Heinesen - The Faroes most famous author - he has an amazing psychological insight into Faroese culture and ways of being - there are books translated into English

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

Excellent post Eydritt. I'm taking notes as I hope to visit your beautiful islands sometime soon. I plan to take my car with the Norröna ferry from Iceland. I'm sure I'll have my own questions later :)

Newcastle
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting the Faroe Islands

That's great Eydritt, thanks a lot for your help. There's some really good stuff in that. I'll look into your suggestions.

Reply to: Visiting the Faroe Islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted