We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

We have 4 days in Malta in mid November and have booked the Hypogeum for 3 on the Saturday afternoon. (probably wasnt the best time to choose because of the need to be sure we can get there on time. ) We wont have a car. Suggestions for planning the day welcome. Would we be best to use a taxi to avoid wasting time? Or are buses so reliable we dont need to worry. What should we best combine the trip with? Our main interest is history but not averse to a bit of seafood! Does it make any sense to use a water taxi across the harbour and visit the three towns as part of the day?

By way of context, we are staying in Valletta so I imagine we will have 1 day Valletta, 1 day , 1 day for this and 1 day to decide when we are there.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

Saturday is no worse than any other day, traffic wise, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that you have 4 options -

- spend the morning in Valletta then take bus 81, 82, 83 or 85 (or possibly buses 1, 2, 3 , 91, 92, 93 or 94) to Paola Square, approximately 1 hour before your Hypogeum Tour time - there are plenty of buses and the journey time is only 15 minutes.

- Spend the morning at the Tarxian Temples then walk along this route http://goo.gl/maps/cmSW6 to the Hypogeum.

- Spend the morning at the 3 Cities then catch bus 2 or 3 to Paola Square approximately 1 hour before your Hypogeum Tour time - again the journey time is about 15 minutes.

- Spend the morning at Marsaxlokk then catch bus 81 to Paola Square approximately 90 minutes before your Hypogeum Tour time - the journey time is about 30 minutes.

Phil-the-Bus

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

One other thought, rather than spend a whole day in Valletta, you might find it better to do two half days, touring the City in the morning then taking a bus out to somewhere else (eg Mdina) in the afternoon.

The reason I suggest this is because it is usually easier to get to the main tourist attractions by bus (or Ferry) from Valletta than elsewhere and they rarely need more than half a day to take in.

Phil-the-Bus

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

Great advice thanks

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

I suggest: the 3 cities lots to see & do there plus could have lunch at the restaurants along the water. then get the bus to Hypogyeum ps the Tarxien temples don't take more than 1/2hr to see if interested in them. Research the 3 cities could easily spend 2-3 hrs walking around visiting the Maritime museum, churches plus time for lunch (total 3-4 hrs). At least you are on the same side of town for your Hypogyeum tour. Also I think there is a tour of the 3 cities on Saturday morning which could be well worth investigating which leaves from Sliema (don't know if they pickup elsewhere along the way)..have misplaced the info. re tour operator..its in a very vintage bus trolley. will get back if I find the info.

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

The little vintage bus tour to the 3 Cities only picks up and sets down in Sliema and whilst it was OK when I tried it, I don't think it is worth trekking over to Sliema to take if you are based in Valletta.

Phil-the-Bus

Sheffield
Level Contributor
58 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

Hi Phil-the-bus - I've just picked up this trail and wonder whether you found the info on the 3 cities vintage bus tour? We are staying in Sliema during December and this sounds fun.

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

Yes, it is here - http://www.maltasightseeing.com/EN/content/20 .

The bus usually looks like this hellomaltatours.com/Media/…LCY002.jpg

or this http://www.flickr.com/photos/40323131@N02/4450870920/ .

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 5:42 pm, November 22, 2013
Sheffield
Level Contributor
58 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

That's excellent - many thanks for the links. I had also been wondering about the Open Top bus tours, so am delighted to see they are the same company that run Vintage Bus Tours.

I'm now trying to work out what on earth the weather is going to be like in the first few weeks of December as three different sites - BBC, Zoover and Accuweather offer three very different opinions and temperature ranges! Not sure whether to pack shorts, tee shirts and sandals with a light jacket ( based on BBC) or woolly jumpers, jeans and boots with a thick winter jacket (based on Zoover)!

Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

We were running short of time to get from Valetta to the hypogeum and made the mistake of jumping in a taxi, he charged €30 to take us one way !!! Helen & Clare

10. Re: Planning a day around a Hypogeum visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 28, 2014