We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

siege of malta memorial

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northeast
Level Contributor
45 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
siege of malta memorial

have just returned from a short visit to malta. One of the sights we visited was the Siege of malta memorial bell next to lower barracca gardens. Can anyone shed any light on the statue next to the bell, it appears to be a sleeping lady and is only clearly visible from the barracca gardens. There is no reference to the statue anywhere that i can find, anyone know the answer to who she is or what she symbolises.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: siege of malta memorial

She quite simply represents the resting dead civilians of Malta killed by axis bombing raids in WW2, surely you do know how much Malta suffered in the last war don't you ?, if not then you should be aware that twice the amount of bombs were dropped on Malta in 1942 alone than in all the blitz on London in WW2, even to this day Malta is still in the Guinness book of records as being the most bombed place ever in the whole world.

northeast
Level Contributor
45 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: siege of malta memorial

thank you for the reply. Yes i am aware of the impact on the maltese during WW2. Part of the reason for going to Malta was to pay respects to a family member (RAF pilot) whose name is on the Malta memorial in Floriana. Unfortunately while we were in Malta the siege bell was silenced due to restoration work.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: siege of malta memorial

That makes you a very good person to travel all that way to Malta to pay your respects, my uncle was a chief petty officer in the RN based in Malta during the war and spent 7 days floating round the Med after being torpedoed off Malta somewhere he was never the same after that I believe. I knew him as an older man and never liked him as he was very harsh on his kids (my cousins) but what we as kids didn't know was that it was experiences that changed him as a man and he never spoke about Malta or the war, on the subject of remembering, my avatar is an actual photo of a poppy we took on the battlefields of Flanders near Hill 60 in Zillebeke last year, I am sure you agree that it is very important to remember and we have a duty to never forget.

4. Re: siege of malta memorial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Valletta