We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Gate

cambs
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
City Gate

What on earth have they done taking the City Gate down it looks like they dont seem to care about preserving the old city. A lot of people go to malta to see the the old malta and now the gate is no longer there it seemes that Malta is loosing its charm to me it looks like the city gate has been raped. A nd with the new bus system that is a joke I was told it took such a long time to get anywhere on the island now and the residents who work are getting into trouble with their employers because they are regularly late also having to pay more than the locals for the same trip surely that is illegal *I know I will never set foot on their buses.

But I sill love Malta and cant wait to go back next year.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta City Gate
Valletta City Gate
665 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: City Gate

Siggiewi4 it would be interesting to see if one could get a look around the old British Barracks and search for them but you would probally need a presidental order orpermission from the foreign affairs office in London.We have several old British army places over here that have been converted to musemes etc and they found lots of stuff in them when they were been converted.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: City Gate

Hi Wrapp, yes I know, my great Uncle was a Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers stationed in Bandon & then Dublin at the time of the partition in the early 20's, this after serving right through 1914-1918 in such cheery welcoming places as Northern France & Passchendaele, naturally I am very very proud of his memory and wear his service medals on the apprporiate side to the war memorial service every Nov 11th, lest we forget

greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders…

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: City Gate

Siggi wont be out in Malta for THE 11th but will be there from 21-28 the 11th this year is rather unuasual it goes somthing like this 11-11-11-11-11-think BBC are supposed to be doing some sspecial programme.If you have access to channel 4 their is a programme on tonight about trip advisor and the people who contribute to it hotel owners etc griping about our comments.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: City Gate

Hi wrapp, you may or may not have noticed but is not only them that gripe about our comments, some of our very own perfect self styled ta's gripe about them also, especially deluded trolls that live in a fantasy pixie kind of roses round the ginger bread house kind of world, and don't like to hear us honest knowledgeable people telling the truth as we see it.

Edited: 10:04 am, October 31, 2011
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: City Gate

When the Opera House was bombed, the remaining parts were numbered and stored in a field somewhere. I'm sure many houses built in the fifties had some of the stone incorporated in their buildings.

I know there was a lot of disagreement after the War. Malta could claim War Damage to reconstruct the bombed buildings. But apparently it only covered residences. Apart from the Opera House there were Auberges which were also bombed

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: City Gate

Yep the courthouse which was an Auberge was badly damaged as was La Vallette band club that was actually cut in two by bombs, the side where the bar is now was left standing but the side where the snooker tables are was completely destroyed, these of course were just a couple of buildings but there were so many more destroyed and all those lives lost, the cinema was badly damaged one Sunday afternoon with a big loss of life, so very sad to think of dear old magical Valletta being bombed like that.

Mentioned in this post
La Vallette
La Vallette
83 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: City Gate

Siggi you know you cannot be going around telling the truth now that woudent be fair especially if you have them rose tinted glasses especially the ones that are always right not like me I am only always right even when Im wrong.

18. Re: City Gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 01, 2012