We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Libyan Refugees

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hertfordshire
8 posts
Save Topic
Libyan Refugees

As refugees escaping the troubles in Libya have decended on Valletta, Malta, how is this affecting the tourist trade? I am concerned that the large number of refugees may affect a holiday for me in that region. Large numbers of dispossessed people can be intimidating. Is it safe?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Libyan Refugees

You are watching too much TV , BBC and Sky.

The refugees passed through Valletta last week and did not affect anyone but the Armed forces and Virtu ferries catamaran . Most of them , arrived by Catamaran , took a bus to the airport and where out of Malta within hours .

Malta is as normal as ever and I go about my daily life as normal as ever .

A few Libyans resident in Malta spent some time protesting in front of the Libyan Embassy , last week , but now have returned home .

the only thing that sufferred under this situation is the trade loss many Malta businesses have suffered due to the hostilities and lack of order in the country , Libya , which seems to be taking a lot of time , to settle .

We are looking forward to an increase in tourists , who may have been destined further south !

Welcome to Sunny and Peaceful Malta

Hertfordshire
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Libyan Refugees

I hadn't given it any thought until a friend mentioned it. Good to have someone on the ground to report the reality. Thank you.

Kingston, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Libyan Refugees

Obviously a Malta tourism advocate!! My sons girlfriend recently accepted a job in in Malta and was provided accomodation in Siliema,she is world wise and has travelled and stayed in many of the largest cities in the world,Milan,Sydney,Toronto,London,Rome plus many more.She said she has never felt as threatened or as scared for her personal safety as she did while walking the streets of Siliema,due to the large numbers of what she assumed were refugees shouting and whistling and threatening sexual assault against her, believe me this girl is no shrinking violet and quite capable, under normal circumstance, of sticking up for herself,my son also well travelled, said the same thing and stated it is the only place he felt that he needed a gun for protection.He could not, and would not let his girl walk anywhere alone.She quit the job after two days even though increased renumeration and better accomodation was offered.They moved to Valleta where they nearly died of carbon monoxide poisoning due to the thirty year old buses spewing out their noxious fumes(nearly died might be a bit of an exaggeration) but the fumes are very real.They left Malta after two weeks and returned to England.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Libyan Refugees

MIKLJAC

I have two teenage daughters who frequent Sliema and Paceville everyday and night . They roam about freely and have never complained of any problems with refugees or Libyan emigrants .

Your post is very exagerrated and anyone reading it will be wise to read between the lines ?

I am a tourism advocate but my statements are based on facts and everyday living in Malta . Maybe you should check your facts ?

Welcome to Malta

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Libyan Refugees

I showed your post to my daughters and they admitted that they do get the usual wolfwhistle and comment , here and there , but they say that the problem is in your daughter in laws head .

If the wolf whistle comes from a blonde blue eyed Swede , its called a Compliment , but if it comes from a dark suntanned Maltese lad , its called Attempted rape !

We do have an increase in African refugees , but not every dark haired suntanned person in Malta is a serial rapist.

Apart ide ?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Libyan Refugees

Malta is still one of the safest countries to visit. As a frequent visitor I get very annoyed by the scaremongers. I am bringing out a band on tour in July and one member asked if we would hear the shelling of Libya whilst we were there! Malta has fortunately not been as swamped as Lampedusa though refugees are putting pressure on the public purse.

Go to Malta and enjoy!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Libyan Refugees

Hi Sean

For your info Tripoli is 221 miles away from Valletta .

The horizon from sealevel is about 4 miles away , so you need to travel 217 miles to see Tripoli from Malta .

Lampedusa is only 180 Miles from Tripoli and therefore gets more refugees ! 40 miles at sea is no joke ! especially after a 180 !

Thanks for the frank comments

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Libyan Refugees

This has to be a wind up, even if I went to live in a cave on Mars for 100 years with my eyes closed shut and my fingers in my ears then returned to earth then this could not describe Malta, is this pesron sure it was Malta they went to live in ? maybe it was the other Malta in the usa as that would make more sense.

Kingston, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Libyan Refugees

Gentlemen ,as I said this is a young lady that has traveled the world and has been wolf whistled at by the best of them with no problems and never a perceived threat,I purposely didn't mention any ethnic properties of any of the parties,but my son is certainly no blond blue eyed Swede! read between those lines if you will(what does that mean anyway?)Also not mentioned in any of the replies is the tent village. I quote from the Toronto Star "Malta's Hal Far Tent village is filled with more than 600 migrants and refugees.....The Council of Europes commissioner for human rights recently denounced the totally inadequate living conditions of the camp and ordered it closed....The camps residents live in 50 tents and 20 shipping containers." This camp, full of happy campers,quote "the cats were afraid of the rats" unquote,is near the islands airport south of the capital city Valleta .The full article can be read in the Saturday Toronto Star insight section section dated June 18th 2011..One final quote "The UNCHR" decribes the island of 400,000 as under increasing pressure from African Migrants and refugees landing on its shores.The country has no refugee integration and racism creates an environment of fear tension and mistrust" unquote.So I will accept what my son and his girlfriend have told me until proven absolutely and utterly wrong.Good luck Malta, and by the way the only reason African is mentioned here is because I quoted word for word from the article.Forgive also my misspelling in my first post of Sliema. I see also that no one sprang to the defence of the buses ,read into that what you will.I said also that they returned to England, please dont take for granted that England is where they reside ,it is not,but they had travelled to Malta from England(Scotland actually)

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Libyan Refugees

MIKLJAC - first of all no one commented on the 30 year old buses (actually some are even older) because in a few days time the whole bus system is being scrapped and a completely brand new bus service introduced.

In all my years of forums activity I don't think I have ever seen a post that puzzled me so much.

All illegal and irregular immigrants are kept in detention so you definitely won't see any of them roaming the streets. The ones you do see have Refugee or Humanitarian status.

I live in Sliema and am out and about at all times of the day and late evening. I have lady friends of all ages who go jogging on the Promenade at 5.30 am. We go out regularly at about 9 pm for a walk along the Promenade. Youngsters, Maltese and Foreign, walk home after a night out clubbing. Elderly Brits enjoy long stays here mainly because of the weather and safety. We often have Ladies Nights and on my return I usually have to park at a distance and walk home alone. AND NONE OF THESE HAVE EVER FELT INTIMIDATED. I've never ever seen large groups of Africans except outside the Refugee Accomodation Centres.

I don't know and have never even heard of any one who felt they needed a gun to defend themselves. In fact this is bordering on the ridiculous. How any one could feel safe walking in the streets at night in London and Rome but not here is hard to believe.

I can assure you that the vast majority of tourists who visit Malta will never realise we are doing so much in humanitarian aid as they simply won't come across any men << shouting and whistling and threatening sexual assault against >> them unless they walk along the detention centres dressed provocatively.

Edited: 1:54 am, June 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Valletta