We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
intl
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

I am planning to go to Malta and only have a day and a half. I was thinking of seeing a bit of Valletta, then going to the Hypogeum (tickets for 13:30h/14:00h), and spending the afternoon in Mdina, and finally exploring Valletta a bit more on the half-day before leaving.

Is this feasible, and if so, what is the best way to travel to those three destinations in a single day? Are the bus connections reliable enough or should we go by taxi? (Or is that too expensive)?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help or suggestions.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Tell us where you will be staying and when will you be visiting Malta for a better answer . It can be done and a taxi will save you time , which is a bit short for you !

Buses will take much of your time if you decide to use them , as they can be slow and not on time .

Come back with some info and I will get back later

Welcome to Malta

intl
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, 643. We'll be staying in St. Julian's and going early March. Would going by taxi be very expensive? Thanks!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

From Sliema to Valletta in the morning is easy , and should take about 20 minutes by bus , start early after breakfast. After valletta tour , getting to Paola and Tarxien Hypogeum is also no problem by bus , about 25 minutes . Suggest you prebook / phone a taxi to take you to Mdina from in front of Hypo . Should be about 20 to 25 euro , for 20 minute trip , otherwise , 90 to 120 minutes by buses , one to valletta , one to Rabat and walk to Mdina 10 minutes ?

Suggest otherwise to return to Valletta by bus and do Mdina on day two !A better option in my opinion , as it will get dark about 5 and Mdina is worth seeing slowly .

Get bus numbers from www.atp.com.mt

Rabat bus is 80 and 81 , 64,65 to Valletta I think , but forget the Paola number !

Welcome to Malta

intl
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Thank you! This is very helpful!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

There is a direct bus from St Julians to Mdina - it might be of help. If you do Mdina on the second day and go to the airport direct from Mdina by bus make sure you leave plenty of time. You have to go to Valletta and then to the airport and the buses are not that frequent. That's why you have to allow 90min - 120min not because it's such a long distance. It's more practical to go by taxi I suppose.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

There is a taxi stand just outside Mdina , and you can arrange to have a taxi to wait for you at a time outside the main Mdina gate , to take you to the airport in 25 minutes.

Taxi fare should not be more than 25 euro for 4 or less .

In Mdina go to the Fontanella tea rooms for coffee and chocalate gautue cake? ( wrong spelling ?) plus the views !

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

And after your gateau (I think) don't just keep to the main road, wander down the narrow side streets some of which open up surprisingly into good sixed squares.

intl
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

Great! Thanks very much 643 and hat776.

Is Fontanella also good for lunch, or just for tea?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

They do a good Pizza or pasta too ,apart from the tea and cakes !

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
564 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valletta-Hypogeum-Mdina in a day?

I know nothing about Malta but was on a cruise in 2008 and thought how lovely Malta is so we are going back in April 2012 but flying in. Possibly staying at the Grand Hotel Excelsior as it has been given good reviews. As you seem so helpful to others I was just wondering what I should see and do in 3 days there. Will have been on an Insight bus tour of Spain before coming to your beautiful country. I do know I want to visit Gozo.

Get answers to your questions about Valletta