We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

West Sussex
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

Hi! Has anyone else booked with TC flying from Gatwick on TCX904K to Malta?

I've just received a letter today saying my flight is now going 9hours and 45 mins later than scheduled. Was supposed to check in at 04.00, for 07.00 flight arriving Malta 11.15, have booked room at Gatwick Travelodge (£30 wasted), weeks ago for Monday 25th and have now been told TCX904K not going until 16.45 arriving Malta 21.00. That's one day on the beach missed and arriving at hotel maybe 23.00 plus, too late to get any food shopping.

Tried to get refund and book alternative holiday, but as the flight change wasn't 12 hours difference they want to keep my £150 deposit plus £31 paid for sitting together.

Anyway that's £181 I would lose if I want to cancel through no fault of my own.

I'm not a whinger but as there are no other flights and I have already booked my time off work along with my Mrs. they have us by the proverbials.

Hope other people on this flight haven't made early morning arrangements or taxi/coach bookings.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

This is so annyoying when it happens. Is your return flight still the same or has that changed too? That is practically a whole day off your holiday. I bet it says that they can change your flights in the small print - most annoying. I would write them a letter pointing out how annoyed you are at the fact that you have wasted your night's accomodation and also that you are now on holiday for a whole day less than you were originally and that the least they could do was offer you some compensation - they probably won't but always worth a try and it will make you feel better for doing something about it.

One good thing is that you will be able to check into your room straight away as opposed to waiting till you room has been cleaned (usually about 3.00pm) - small consolation I know. Hope the rest of your hols go ok for you.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

Everybody is at the mercy of the small print nowadays.

Some friends traveled with Ryanair recently and they had a 37 hour delay - we never had any problem with Ryanair though.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

The fine print is a bummer , but could you try to get them to book you another flight with a different airline , if it is worth it?

I have not checked but there should be flights from LHR with other operators.

Will you be willing to risk , travelling with another airline at your own cost and suing for compensation , as I would not in this case?

Do your homework and have the details available before you phone, since obviously they will be losing money and will not be at all willing to help you fly with someone else.

Use bad publicity on the internet as a lever , sometimes it gets you what you want !

Regrettabbly rebooking clauses include protection for the airline against the whims of travellers who sometimes find better deals after committing themselves. Not that this is your case , but the good suffer cos of the bad .

Have you tried the hotel refund , at least?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

For info

Have just been checking the Thomas Cook site and if you request a flight for the 26 May , it gives you a flight departing LGW at 0630 arriving at 1040 , Easyjet.

Somebody is shuffling passengers to make space and sell morning seats at higher prices...

Good Luck and look forward for a nice holiday, even if you may lose this skirmish !

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

Darlo100

I sent a you a message, as cannot write evrything here !

Bugibba, Malta
Destination Expert
for Bugibba
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

I don't know the terms of travel insurance but if you have any you may be able to claim on this ?

West Sussex
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

Thank you to all who replied to my posting, I am going to write to TC and try and make some sense out of the situation. Tried emailing on their website but when it came to send my message, surprise surprise it came up with message time out error so I wasn't able to send it or go back and retrieve the message. They don't seem to want to hear from their customers with a complaint. Anyway will use snail mail and try again.

Once again thank you for all your advice and sympathy!

8. Re: Thomas Cook flight change Malta 26/05/09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 21, 2009