We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchairs and Mellieha

West Midlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchairs and Mellieha

Any advice I am going to Malta in September and staying in Mellieha

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchairs and Mellieha

Ken

Mellieha covers a vast area, it can take 40 minutes to drive from the furthest south area to the most northern area.

It also depends on which hotel you are staying as to how wheelchair friendly it is.

Mellieha village itself is a nightmare as the main shopping street is going up a fairly steep hill and the footpath is very uneven and narrow, totally impassable with a wheelchair unless you use the road.

Having stayed at the Mellieha Bay Hotel this hotel is not very wheelchair friendly as the rooms are on a different level from the reception and dining room areas. However there is an outdoor lift by reception to get to the rooms nearby.

The Radisson at Golden Bay (still L/O Mellieha) although is built on top of a cliff has been very well designed, the layout takes a bit of getting used to. To me this hotel scores 10 out of 10 for wheelchair friendly. I have met and assisted a gentleman in a wheelchair who loves this hotel. The hotel is 3 small towers interlinked on the first two levels. It is possible to go from any part of the hotel to the pool by using lifts only and you can also get to beach level by using one of two internal lifts to the bottom of the cliff. The lifts take you to Agliolio area and from there you can get a wheelchair onto the sand via a ramp.

Macl1uk

West Midlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchairs and Mellieha

Thanks for the advice. we will do some more investigations.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchairs and Mellieha

Have a look at Sliema lovely long promonades from Sliema to St Julians and on into Valetta the other way. Some good hotels on the seafront with wheelchair access and lifts would suggest the Park hotel but it has two steps up but I think it also has a wheelchair access door also has a half decent restaurant on the ground floor with lovely staff most of the older generation.You are also on the main bus route to Valetta and the Gozo ferry and lots of restaurants and shops all along the promonade.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchairs and Mellieha

Hi Ken,

I used to live in Mellieha and having worked for a disabled charity back in west midlands I can't help but review places from a disabled persons perspective. Malta is appauling bad when it comes to disabled facilities. You will find hotels offering disabled rooms but majority of restaurants and bars do not have disabled access and/or toilets. Pavements are very rare and very narrow and have a tendency to just run out and you end up on the road! Mellieha is especially hilly so i too would suggest Sliema/St.Julians as at least you have a nice wide promenade that you can traverse without fear of being run over! However, as you are going in September, Mellieha's festa is on or around 8th of that month and is wonderful to experience but you can always just go for the day/night. Not sure if you will be renting a car to get around? Anyway, if you decide to use public transport please note that they get very busy and crowded, they have wheelchair spaces but thats if you can get on! The buses are also equipped to"kneel" for wheel chairs like in the uk but often there is no curb/pavement for it to "kneel" onto! Hope i haven't put you off too much but these are the things they don't tell you on the tourist info sites! The Golden Sands Hotel sounds very good, i didnt realise it was so disabled friendly but it is also very isolated but next to 1 of the prettiest beaches in Malta so guess it depends what you like to do on your hols, sunbathe and relax or explore? However, it is best placed for you to watch beautiful sunsets every night!

Good luck in your hunt and hope you have a wonderful holiday!

5. Re: Wheelchairs and Mellieha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sliema