We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

Essex
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

Hallo

Have booked a trip to Malta for end of May - have found a beautiful place and if lives up to pictures I would be very happy as is gorgeous - check out the Stone House Rabat ! Anyway just wanted some advice on hiring a moped /motorbike ? from what I have read up public transport seems really good and dont think there is no need to hire a car to travel but it would be great fun to hire a scooter to get around . Have checked some bike forums and its like NO but would like another opinion - rider has 30 years biking experience and i am a good pilly . If any one has done this or can suggest a good hire place please let me know . Am so looking forward to this trip - Mdina looks lovely XXX Thanks so much

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

I would not recommend hiring a scooter or motorbike unless you have a death wish. It is not your experience you need to worry about it is the roads and especially the Maltese drivers most of whom have not mastered what the indicators are for! As for who has right of way is anyone’s guess.

The Maltese have a quaint way of driving in the shade, which could be on the wrong side of the road.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

Hi

I agree with Macl1uk they drive mad so i wouldn't risk my life driving a motorbike in Malta!!!! I would recommend you rent a car its easier and safer. if you want a recommendation i recommend www.maltafirstcarhire.com they are cheap and excellent service...

Yes mdina is very very nice especially by night the view from the top is breathtaking..

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

A friend of mine uses his scooter to get around the island and swears by it. His wife rides pillion. If you've got the experience don't be put off.

Saint Julian's...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

Dear all

For next time if you would like to hire a motorbike / quad bike just visit www.ahsmalta.com or call Albert on 00356 99490192.

Some people might find driving in Malta crazy however the traffic is crazy too so renting a motorbike to get around will facilitate things FOR SURE.

Another problem in Malta is parking... So you have to consider this as well.

Sorry for such a late reply but hopefully it will help the queries in the future

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

really dont understand the fuss about driving in Malta, have done it a good few times and cant see any problem, if you are used to driving in any big city in the UK or Europe then Malta is easy,

Saying that though given the state of the roads i wouldnt fancy a scooter, motorbike at all in Malta.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

Gary

I have no problem in driving in Malta and have done so most years for the last 25 years or so. The roads over that period have improved but some are still full of potholes.

The problem is the English driver who has not experienced Maltese driving and being on a scooter or motorbike, that is why I do not advise it. In the event on an accident on a scooter or motorbike one has very little protection, whereas in a car you usually have a fair amount of protection.

Over 30 years ago I was staying on a Greek Island at a lovely hotel located at the end of a very long rough track. A couple on honeymoon had just arrived and hired motorbikes, the lady came off on this track and had to be flown home, no other vehicle was involved!

Macl1uk

Essex
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

Dear All

Have recently returned from Malta and there really isn't a problem with 2 wheel travel . Yes its busy, erratic and roads need to be better as so narrow ! You do have to be careful but certainly it is not worse than the middle of London at 5pm on a Friday . !!! Met some really nice Maltese bikers who travel Europe and there really isn't an issue . The only thing is that in hire terms you can only get a Scooter ( not a problem for me) but if you are used to a powerful motorbike or off roading ( prob best bikes to get around on) then choice is very limited . I hope this helps and would say to anyone else don't be put off in hiring and give it a go ...

8. Re: Rabat/Mdina Scooter Lover :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 17, 2014