We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timpana

Which Sliema hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barrow-in-Furness...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Timpana

We are due to visit Malta next month and was sad to see the demise of the Magic Kisok. It wasn't the 'poshest' place to eat but it had a great atmosphere and the food and location was excellent. I first tried Timpani at this cafe and I hoped to have it there again. Can anyone recommend at cafe/restaurant in Sliema/St Julians where I can order Timpani?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timpana

Mr Maxims , a little pastizzreia on the Sliema / Gzira waterfront near to manoel Island sell very nice Timpana .

You must also try Baked Rice . It is delicious and Mr Maxims is particularly good.

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timpana

I must also mention that the very BEST place for snack food ( timpana , baked rice . pastizzi , sausage rolls , pizza slices etc ) is called QUEENS in Hamrun.

Well worth the trouble to find . The food is fantastic and very cheap.

There is always a long queue.

Another good place for timpana and snacks ( including the best Date Slices ) is the little shop on St Pauls Street in Valletta directly opposite St Pauls Shipwreck Church.

Making me hungry thinking about all this !!

Graham

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Timpana

And the best rabbit pie (torta tal fenek) I have ever tasted is also from Hamrun in Cafe Papillon to be exact, it is absolutely fantastic, timpana is ok but once you have eaten some you are full for a week, as Graham says try baked rice (ros il forn) we make this a lot, the commercial versions at places such as Maxims or McSims are not nearly as good as the real deal but they are ok, the best ros il-forn in all Malta is made by one of our friends in Siggiewi and it is wonderfull.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Timpana

Hi Graham, I think the place you mean is Aguis a very traditional old fashioned place opposite the church, his rabbit or octopus pies (torta tal qarnita) are really good, when he has them that is.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timpana

You are right Siggiewi it it Agius --- My memory slipped and I couldn`t remember the name,

His pies are very good but I love his date slices . about an inch thick and full of sweet dates.

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timpana

Hi Graham

On the way home after work , I sometimes , stop at Queens for some food if the Misses is not going to be at home , as I am too lazy to cook ! Timpana is good , but I prefer the Tuna and Spinach Pie .

Maxims has opened a place on Tower Road near Zaras on the opposite side of the road. Have not tried the food , but usually Maxim's is OK !Up the road where the Magic Kiosk used to be !!

Welcome to Malta Jacqui

Edited: 2:28 pm, August 30, 2011
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timpana

Jacqui

I would forget about Timpana , and head for my favourite place , lately , Mamma Mia in Msida/Ta Xbiex for some Spaghetti with Baby Prawns or Octupus or a good plate of fried octupus in sauce with fresh salad and chips !

Be sure to have a good apetite as otherwise you will not eat the huge portions ....you have been warned :-)

Barrow-in-Furness...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Timpana

Unfortunately I am not a sea food fan especially 'exotic' varieties like octopus but I could manage the baby prawns. I will make a note of restaurants you mention and will definitely look out for them when we arrive next month. It is 23 years since we visited Malta for the first time. We are well overdue for a return visit and this time we are bringing our 17 year old daughter with us. I am sure we will see many changes to Sliema but hope the old Malta is still there too. We stayed at a complex called The Galaxy Aparthotel and I remember it was at the top of a very steep hill up from Sliemas promenade. We have tried googling the Galaxy but it doesn't look as though it's under the same name anymore or it may have been knocked down and replaced with another hotel. I was sorry to see the Magic Kiosk has been knocked down. It was a favourite place for us to eat during the day and evening. If I had been around in January 2008 when the bulldozers arrived I would have held my own mini protest :))

Thanks once again for replying to my question. We are so looking forward to coming back to Malta.

Kind regards

Jacqui

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timpana

The Magic Kiosk story goes way back and the story of how it was built on public land is long and complicated.

Why don't you try making Timpana yourself and stunning your friends and family.?

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Timpana

I was glad to hear about the demise of that ugly eyesore, it should never of been built there in the first place for a number of reasons including legal and planning reasons and was symptomatic of Sliema changing from a much nicer exclusive place to the built up almost anonymous concrete jungle one finds today, it never used to be like that and should never of been allowed to get like that so the more ugly buildings that get pulled down the better, all those older fantastic old buildings gone under a bulldozer, back handers flying around all over the place the 70's & 80's was permits here permits there you needed a permit to get a permit and who issued them ? we all know the answer to that, and mepa also has a lot to answer for.

Get answers to your questions about Sliema