We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you decide ??

Which Sliema hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
How do you decide ??

We are booked to stay in the Hotel Fortina later this month. This week I have read reviews ranging from 'this place is great' to basically 'don't touch it with a barge pole!!' it worries me that people have such vastly differing views of somewhere and that i find great difficluly deciding who may be right and who is wrong. How do you decide ??

Helen

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you decide ??

There are two Fortina hotels . The 4 ? star and the 5 star Spa hotel .

You get what you pay for ,but overall I would say that even the 4 star is OK , but maybe ??? a bit unmaintained ????

I usually assume that for every 5 bad reviews , a good review will cancel them out . It has been a long time since I went to the 4 star but the other one is very good , from the restaurant side , in my opinion !

Most people who write reviews , do so to critisize , even if I do not !

Welcome to Malta

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you decide ??

The problem is that there are two hotels next door to each other, one Fortina Spa Resort a 5 star and the Fortina Hotel which is cheaper.

People often book the cheaper one expecting to be staying in the Fortina Spa Resort having looked at the details either in a brochure or online.

There are also 2 Radisson’s one in St Julian’s the other at Golden Bay, again several confuse one with the other, the first one is in the centre of things including restaurants near by but no sandy beach. Whereas the one at Golden Bay is on a remote spot but with a lovely sandy beach.

Having said that I believe you get what you pay for, many guests at the Radisson at Golden Bay are on a promotional week costing about £99 per couple. Some people expect to be given the best rooms with the sea view and moan when they are given a country view without any cooking facilities! What do you expect for a week in a 5 star hotel for £99 per couple?

Edited: 9:18 am, March 02, 2011
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you decide ??

Mac1UK

SNAP one for you

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you decide ??

You will probally have Breakfast sleep and maybe have a drink in the hotel the rest of the time you will be out and about maybe come back for a swim Sliema is lovely place to have a stroll eat dinner and sit out having a coffee.

You are booked into a four star hotel enjoy it.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you decide ??

My heartfelt thanks to all who replied. I have plans to just enjoy Malta, enjoy the break (YAY, I'm not at work) and make the best of anything else. If you could just manage to make the weather warm and sunny it would really be MUCH appreciated :) Will post a review on our return.

Helen

UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you decide ??

We are also booked at the Fortina at the end of this month and have been looking at the reviews over the past few months. The 'problems' that seem to be coming up are (in my veiw) the fact that locals are using the hotel (so what!), having to pay for drinks on a half baord basis (as you do all over the world) and not having a seaview room ( you have to pay extra for this!)

If a luxurious room, with all food and drink included is their expectation then maybe they should pay a price that reflects this?

We're going with the view that we have paid a bargain price for a week away from the UK, with hopefully better weather than in the UK, AND no work for a week!!

Hopefully, we'll all have a good week away!!!

Edited: 4:28 pm, March 02, 2011
7. Re: How do you decide ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 24, 2012