We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

Which Sliema hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

Hi,

My husband and I are taking our 1 year old toddler in late November and are staying in a self catering apartment in Sliema (near Balutta Bay) - our flight doesn't arrive until 18:45 on Saturday night so I'm guessing by the time we get to the apartment the shops are all closed ? Is there anywhere to buy some food basics on a Sunday ? Or does anyone have any suggestions for places to eat that are open on Sunday and are toddler friendly ??

Many thanks

Malta
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

Hi there. Sliema area is a bit of a problem to buy groceries on a Sunday but you should be ok with places to eat which are toddler friendly in Malta - it is only in the posh restaurants that you may have a problem. There is a Pizza Hut close to you just up the road towards St. Julians. At the Bay Street Complex in St. Julians there is a McDonald's and a couple of other child friendly restaurants and also a small metro type Marks and Spencers Food Store where you can get some basics to start you off, but certainly not milk or bread. Enjoy your holiday.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

Are you being picked up from airport by self catering apt reps cos if so maybe you can explain your situation re milk & they can buy for you, in Sliema there are 2 Scotts supermarkets Im sure they were open on Sundays, there are lots of little shops that would sell milk & bread too. If you have the phone number of owner of apartment maybe they can organise milk & bread in fridge for you. If you are desperate maybe at the airport you can buy some flavoured milk, snacks. There are lots of restaurants along Tower Road in Sliema, we stayed in a self catering apt in sliema right above the Gelataria (ice cream parlor) well in June it was open till at least 10.30pm dont know about Nov. though.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

I would suggest local restaurants rather than Pizza Hut or McDonald's which you can get here. There is a lovely pizzeria near Balluta Bay called Piccolo Padre which is child friendly. In Malta you should be able to take your toddler to most restaurants. There are plenty of restaurants along the sea front promenade so you shouldn't have a problem. It won't be easy to find anywhere open on Sunday for food basics. I would contact the people giving you the keys to the apartment and see if they can arrange milk bread etc. Alternatively take some bread and UHT milk from here

Malta
Level Contributor
402 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

If you roam around a bit and ask I'm sure you will find somewhere open.

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

Thanks for all your somments and suggestions. I contacted the owner of the apartment and he is kindly arranging some basics for us. We will definitely try out some of the restaurants suggested as well though.......

Thanks for your help !

Saint Julian's...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

As omeone else suggested I would ask the apartment owner to leave all that is normally needed for thew first day breakfast.

Over here there are lot of shops that are open on Sunday. Are you hiring a car? If so it would be easier as you can go to St. Julian's next to the Bus Terminus and there is a bread shop there. In St.paul's near the fish shop there is a mini market open all day. If you go to Marsaxlokk where there is an open market on Sunday there are all sorts of food stuffs for sale. The same in Valletta every Sunday morning there is a flea market and other food stalls are open and small retail shops are open as well.

As for restaurants there are hundreds of them and hee most restaurnats are children friendly.

IHope this puts your mind at rest..

Have a nice stay. presently the weather is sunny.

Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

On Sunday morning you can pop into Confectionery shops which stock bread, milk, cereals and sometimes freezers with burgers etc etc... apart from sweets, wine ....

Rest assured you won't starve in Malta !

8. Re: Where to get bread/milk etc on a Sunday ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sliema