We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

Ipswich, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

We are thinking about Malta for the last week in June. Never been before so where would be the best place for a mature but fit couple -by fit I mean able to walk up hills!

We don't want to be "out in the sticks" and enjoy good restaurants and a good standard of hotel, although don't want 5 star. Like to be near enough to be able to walk to town/shops/attractions - possibly Sliema or St Julian's but am only judging this by reading reviews on TA.

Is car hire advisable as I know there is quite a good bus service?

Also, what would the weather be like please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

i cannot recemmend a better place than Gozo, the 'sister island of Malta' as they call it! Good restaurants, good quality hotels or self-catering villas, enough shops, nice views and above all a safe and peaceful place! Car hire in Gozo is recommended as well! Weather will be in the low 30C, excellent for swimming, though you have to drink at least 2l daily!

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

maybe have a look at qwara area i can recommend the santanna hotel good 4 starhotel large roof top pool plenty of sun loungers to go around, easy access to other parts of the island and buses direct to valletta .

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

Hi

Yes I'd go with Sliema/St Julians as you will be on the bus route so can travel around the island, near restaurants and shops in Sliema or Valletta, lovely promenade all the way around the coast. Try Juliani or Le Meridien in St. Julians or any of the hotels along the Sliema promenade (can't think of names at the moment) Preluna is one of them. Weather at end of June will be lovely, pretty warm but not baking hot. That's the time of year I would choose to go if I didn't have children still in school. Hope this helps

4. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, June 27, 2013
Ipswich, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - we've now booked the Waterfront Hotel in Sliema as it had good reviews on TA.

Ryanair flights - has anyone tried them to Malta?

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

The Waterfront Hotel is just in the right place in the centre of everything with good pubs/bars just near and restaurants just few minutes away in Sliema....several busses pass from there as well

re. ryanair: I have used them from Malta to Pisa I think they are ok a good budget airline with good service

The weather in June will be at its best neither blazing hot nor chilly just right

Skegness
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

We came back from Malta last week using Ryanair. The flights were on time and the check in staff and flight crew were great.

Obviously there is no onboard entertainment so I suggest you take a good book. Also remember that food although available on board can be quite expensive

As you don't get seat allocation, it is a good idea to be at the boarding gate early to get seats together, or by priority boarding pass each for £2 each way, this gives you the chance to be the first to board

Ipswich, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

Thanks for your help re Ryanair. We know about the food and lack of entertainment as have travelled with them elsewhere before.

Looking forward to our trip!

9. Re: First time to Malta - suggestions of where to stay please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sliema
Recent Conversations