We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Malta on a cruise ship

Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Malta on a cruise ship

Greetings,

I have been going back and forth whether to do a private tour while in Malta on a cruise (will be there in November) with my friends or take taxi's or local buses.

I want to spend time in Valletta and Mdina. My husband wants some time (maybe 2? hours) at the aviation museum. He's a pilot and is very much interested in going there.

Would you recommend we go to Mdina in the a.m, then the aviation museum; then back to Valletta? I would prefer Valletta at the back part of our day so we're not rushed to get back to the ship.

We are docked at 8am and need to be back on the ship no later than 5:30pm.

One of the places I want to visit is St. Paul's Cathedral. Being a Sunday, I was told you can't go in unless you stay for the entire services. If so, how long are the services? Or can we go in in the afternoon when we come back from Mdina?

And bus numbers please to get to Mdina and back?

Thanks!

Monica

Edited: 11:23 am, August 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
34 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

That should read St. John's.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

I would use a taxi , shared between 4 ,at tha same price , about 13 euro , from Valletta to Mdina , one way , and do not waste time on the buses .

If you want to visit St Johns on a Sunday , you will have to stay for the service , and ,may not be able to wander around , as there will be locals hearing mass too !

http://stjohnscocathedral.com/

I would go to St Johns , first thing in the morning , spend an hour there , get a taxi to Aviation Museum , spend some time there ,and have the taxi pick you up at a later time to Mdina and have lunch , in a restaurant in Mdina around noon or later ,spend an hour at Mdina and order a taxi back to Valletta for the afternoon . Walk back to the ship , via the Upper Barrakka and down the LIFT to the sealevel and walk to the ship along the pier .

Your time is very short and you are trying to pack in a lot . Maybe it would be wise to leave something out of the program ?

Welcome to Malta

Ps Each taxi trip should be about 10 to 15 Euro , depending on distance . Try Ecabs.malta.com 035621383838.

Edited: 4:06 pm, August 16, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

http://www.ecabs.com.mt/site/welcome.php

Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Not sure what I can drop. I would love to see the inside of St. John's. My husband is a pilot and the aviation museum is a must for him. The three of us could skip it. I told my husband that if he wanted a lot of time there he could go back to the ship on his own. I've already dropped the Hypogeum. I already know I need a week in Malta!! I want to hit some of the highlights.

Would you have any restaurant recommendations? Something local and doesn't take a long time to order and get our meals.

Monica

Mentioned in this post
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

0915 St Johns Service

1030 taxi to aviation Museum arrive at 1100

1300 taxi to Mdina arrive 1320

Lunch and walkabout , try Fontanella Tea Rooms on the bastions behind the cathedral !

1520 taxi to Valletta arrive 1600

1700 |run to catch the boat ?

If I wanted to see Valletta , I would skip the Aviation Museum .

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

Ordinarily I'd say take an open top bus tour, Malta Sightseeing Blue route which stops at TA Qali for the Aviation museum and Mdina (not far between those two places). But, with the time you want to spend there I doubt it would work. The bus area at Mdina can be a 'zoo' especially in the morning when many open top bus, and public bus riders from the cruise ships rush to get back on to continue their tours. There's no real waiting in line, so being there first won't mean being on the bus first as folks will start pushing to get on. People often have to wait for the next bus. It can be chaos. There will be visitors from countries who believe waiting in line is rude.

I agree, with your schedule and number of people taxis are probably best. The public bus would be cheaper but it can be frustrating and crowded when in a hurry.

If you want bus numbers they are on the Arriva Malta website. Poster Ptb may be along later with advice, and if you decide to go by bus I will try and figure the routes for you.

For restaurants in Mdina, Medina is very good. Bacchus is nice but service can be slow (last thing you want). We like Ciapetti which is down a tiny lane. Nice courtyard.

Mentioned in this post
Malta Sightseeing
Malta Sightseeing
1,529 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
The Medina Restaurant
The Medina Restaurant
807 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

The bus numbers are 51, 52, 53 to get between Valletta and Mdina and 202 and 203 to get between Mdina and Ta'Qali. However I would agree with the others that as time is short, then taxis might be the best option.

Note that Mdina and the Aviation Museum are comparatively close together, so you could use the itinery provided in reply number 5, but get your husband to cut short his visit to Mdina and visit the museum whilst you have lunch there.

Phil-the-Bus

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

Agree with PtB , tha taxi from Valletta to Mdina ,could drop your husband at the Aviation museum and continue to Mdina . Depending on how long he stays at the Museum , he could join you at Mdina for lunch ,or you could pick him up with the Taxi going back to Valletta . There is a bus service from the museum to Mdina as Phil said , but it is not frequent ! check the Arriva website , but do not bet on the bus being on time .

Welcome to Malta

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

Thanks everyone. We'll definitely take a taxi. If needed, Tony can go on his own (maybe with our friend) to the aviation museum and us two gals can visit Mdina and do some photography. I don't want to him to miss out on what he wants to see and vice versa.

I know we can't do it all in one day, so we'll make the best of it. I had a tour guide hired but his schedule was too aggressive. Too many sites and I know not enough quality time.

Monica

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day in Malta on a cruise ship

Mjpileggi , if you look at my avatar , it is a silhoutte of Mdina against the sunset on a wintery day . Mdina has many narrow streets with plenty of photographic material , also a grand view from the bastions of all of Malta , a visit to a museum may be possible ? and try to go to a souvenir shop as you enter the main gate on the left . Hope you enjoy your visit , to my favourite evening walkabout !

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: A day in Malta on a cruise ship
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted