We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide Me Through Mdina....

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
826 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Guide Me Through Mdina....

Help me plan a tour of Mdina.

We will get off the #64 from Valletta....

Walk me to the Top Attractions.

Reccomend a good restaurant for a light snack and tea.

Thanks,

Ted

Malta
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

Walk through the main gate into Mdina. On your right you will find the Natural History Museum and also the Mdina Dungeons (which are quite gory but very well done). Straight ahead the road goes left or right. Take the left road and you will end up in the main square infront of the Cathedral. Go into the Cathedral and on the right hand side of it is the Cathedral Museum. If you carry on at the top end of the Square on your left is the Norman House which is a 'must see'. Carry on and you come to the bastions with spectacular views all over Malta.

It is impossible to tell you exactly where to go since nearly every building has a history to it. The best is to wander around the streets and get lost. Buy a small guide book or in a Malta guide book it will tell you the main places to visit. As for having a snack Fontanella lies right on the edge of the bastions so you have a great view and great food (especially the cakes!) or else if you want something a bit more upmarket go the Trattoria at the Xara Palace Hotel. There are other small restaurants in the back streets too. Don't be too ''organised'' and just go where your legs take you. I was at school at the convent in Mdina for 10 years of my life and feel very privilaged to have been able to go to school in such a historic city - now the school has moved elsewhere!

Plymouth, PA
Level Contributor
826 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

Perfect!

Thank You Very Much!

Ted

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

Loved Mdina but not much was opened when I went - late in afternoon mid week June 07. So if possible check that places are going to be open, they also tend to get lots of one day tourists from ships so everyone is open then. Note: Museums in Malta opening & closing times, imo close way too early in summer eg 4.00pm, just been to Dubai and there museum stayed open till 10.00 at night even tho its officially their winter. Allow at least 1/2 day if everything is open, also if time permits visit the Catacombs & town of Rabat not far away.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

Windfreak gave you losts of good info - there is now a audio guide available from just inside the main entrance. It`s meant to be good.

Have a look at -

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g190324-Activiti…

The view from the Bastions and walking the narrow streets and squares is lovely during the day. But maybe you could have a late tea or early dinner to see the atmosphere in the evenings. It`s mysterious and romantic.

\if you like these sort of towns - have a look at Birgu (Vittoriosia) as well.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

TedG

We will get off the #64 from Valletta....

I believe you got the wrong bus number , it should read # 80 .

Stop at the top of the hill at Rabat , just past the Petrol station on the right .

Once off the bus , walk back from the direction that the bus came and cross Saqqajja square towards Howard Gardens and to Mdina Main Door .

For the view .. Fontanella Tea rooms

For a good restaurant , would prefer Xara Palace , depends on the time . through the Main Mdina door

and turn on the right for Xara Palace .

Enjoy your holiday and come back with any questions if required.

Malta
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

When you mentioned the no.64 bus I thought it didn't sound right. It has been a while since I caught the buses!! The mornings is a better time to wander round Mdina and see museums etc. I agree that Mdina at night is also really nice. It would be well worth going up there for an evening meal - there are around 3 or 4 restaurants that will be open in the evening.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

Go to

www.atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet…

for Malta bus routes.

#64 goes from Valletta to St Andrew via Sliema/st Julians.

#80 goes to Rabat and Mdina via Hamrun & Attard.

I do not use the buses lately , but used to go to Valletta for the cinemas and shopping in my youth by bus.

Also Bacchus is(remembering ..maybe used to be ) a good restaurant in Mdina.The atmosphere is nice . I haven't been there for years.

Need to pay a visit.

8. Re: Guide Me Through Mdina....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mdina