We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too hot for kids?!

Birmingham
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it too hot for kids?!

I have been invited with my family to go to a wedding in Malta in August. I am married with 4 kids under 13.

I have been told it is ridiculously hot and should avoid it at all costs especially as my 3 boys are of the tribe Ginger! Any advice from someone who has been there in August would be appreciated. Any recommendations on hotels would also be grateful received.

Thanks Tony

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

I have been there in the last two weeks in August. Mostly we were in Gozo. It was very very hot. One day in Sliema my daughter who was around 11 at the time actually collapsed with the heat. It would be a pity to miss the wedding. I would say make sure you accommodation and car have good air conditioning and a good pool, and don't plan to do anything too active.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

Don't let people put you off because of the weather. Make no bones it will be hot in August but that's why it's the busiest time of year. The sea is warm as well.

As for your "Tribal Boys" well you know probably better than most that good sun screen is essential. No different in Malta than a hot sunny day in Birmingham, just slap the stuff on and let them enjoy. Plenty of tee shirts, hats and just the usual common sense precautions. Be firm with them if you think they are getting too much sun exposure and use excuses like having a snack to get them in the shade.

Be aware of some of the tours you may go on in particular to the Blue Lagoon or any boat trips as there is very little protection from the sun while you are out. Finally on that score do not be fooled by the breeze that just makes you think it's cooler.

Make sure people drink pleny of water. Buy in bulk from the supermarkets for less than 1Lm for 6 litres. Buying the little bottles of wateris more expensive but sometimes more practicle and sometimes an instant cool bottle.

As for your hotel it depends on where you are hoping to stay on the islands or where the wedding is going to be. I'm sure that we can come up with plenty of ideas once we know but do remember it's August, the busiest time of year. Sliema, St Julians and Paceville are full of rowdy Italian students but more importantly make sure your hotel has air conditioning (as standard!) and that any car you hire other than a Jeep has it too.

Don't miss the wedding and don't be put off by old wives tales. With a common sense appoach you too can be like the thousands of holiday makers that enjoy the August Maltese sunshine without incident.

Birmingham
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

Thanks very much. Your responses are much appreciated.

We are convincing ourselves that we should we go and are looking at the Qwara palace and the Grand Hotel Mercure san Antonio in Buggiba. Any thoughts on these two.

Tony

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

Qawra Palace hotel is a little jaded but has a nice pool area and good evening entertainment. Try for a sea view if you stay there.

On the other hand the San Antonio is very nice. With good rooms spacious pool area and next all amenities, police, bus station, bars and restaurants and nearer to Bugibba (the Qawra Palace is only a few minutes extra away on foot so not a lot in it). I do prefer this hotel to the Qawra Palace but you will probably realise this looking at the price difference. It is a better kept hotel than the Qawra Palace.

I've stayed in both and each served their purpose for the type of visit I was on.

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

August IS hot - so just take the usual precautions such as avoid the sun ... so light coloured clothing, hat, sunglasses and sunblock. Do go out to the beach / pool etc (and this is the most difficult part-) but do it gradually. ONLY half an hour on the first day, and build up slowly. Avoid staying outside between 11:00 and 15:00. Drink cold water regularly / frequently or take the odd ice cream.

Hotel advice for Augut is simple. Book early.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

As someone who used to live in Malta I can categorically state that it is incredibly hot in August. But if you do what the locals do, ie: go out in the morning, head back to your hotel and sleep after lunch til around 4 then go back out in the late afternoon/evening, it is that much more bearable.

Enjoy your stay!

lanarkshire
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

stayed in the san antonio in july this year and it was brilliant the air conditioning in the rooms was out of this world and there is a good shaded area at the pool for your boys the pool at the qwara palace is across a busy road and is not as well protected from the sun

8. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:36 pm, December 24, 2006
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

Tony --

Everyone is right about drinking a lot of water - but it's also important to drink orange juice and/or to eat bananas to keep electrolites in balance, otherwise you're going to have kids who are dizzy and not know why. The main rule is not to wait until you are thirsty to drink, by then you're already dehydrated, and to be sure to include OJ and/or bananas with snacks and meals.

Good luck - have a great time.

10. Re: Is it too hot for kids?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta