We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo pensioner

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Solo pensioner

Hi guys, can anyone recommend hotel for a sprightly 82 year old hoping to travel last two weeks in May must have indoor heated pool and be in pretty flat area as never been to Malta before also pretty safe for a solo traveller , have been trawling through brochures and the net but thought would be a lot quicker asking you guys all help would be gratefully appreciated,

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo pensioner

The Santana hotel in Qawra is in a good situation near to shops, restaurants and bars.

The bus station is about 150 yards away so getting about will be easy.

The hotel is in a flat area with only the occasional slight incline -- no steep hills.

Popular hotel and reasonable price.

Enjoy Malta.

Graham

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo pensioner

The Park Hotel in Sliema just about 50 yards off the main promenade has an indoor pool not sure if heated but the promenade is basically flat from Sliema to St.Julians and a good way to Valletta.

The bus stops are a short walk from the hotel and you have lots of restaurants and cafes on your doorstep.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo pensioner

Many thanks for all your help.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo pensioner

Look at Bugibba & Qawra for a variety of hotels at differing budgets. Research thoroughly as there are several below par 4 stars. The Dolmen is right on the front but slightly more expensive than most.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo pensioner

Hi guys my mother has finally settled for preluna spa hotel and is travelling Ryanair from liverpool anyone have any info on hand luggage , she has per booked her seats but I have heard they are really strict with hand luggage and having travelled many times with her I know what she takes with her in her handbag/shopping bag/heavy carrier bag for duty free etc lol her hand luggage can sometimes weigh more than her hold luggage

Many thanks.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo pensioner

She may be Well advised to bring à small trolley case which will fit all her separate items because Ryanair have a strict one bag policy for hand luggage. She won't be allowed a separate handbag. The Preluna is a good choice in an excellent area.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo pensioner

Ryanair can be very strict over their hand luggage allowance.

The bag must not exceed 55 X 40 X 20 centimetres and weigh a maximum of 10 kilos.

A second small bag ie hand bag or duty free bag may also be carried.

However the last couple of times I used Ryanair nobody checked or even looked at the bags.

Better safe than sorry though.

Graham

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo pensioner

Triplalot. Ryanair do allow a small hand bag as well as correct size hand luggage but they may put some hand luggage in hold if it does not all fit in cabin. Maybe best to check direct with Ryan air.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo pensioner

I think with Ryanair, as it has been eluded to, it really depends on who is at the gate on the day. I've seen people who have been asked to put plastic bags with duty free shopping (nothing too big) into their hand luggage. Other days you can walk on with whatever you want (almost). Be prepared to be flexible.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo pensioner

You are correct that it often depends on who is on duty and how much time they have as getting the plane off on time is the first priority.

However the company policy is now for a second bag ---- it`s even advertised on television .

Graham

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta