We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

Brno
2 posts
Save Topic
Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

Does anybody know, if it is possible to hire a motorbike (or scooter) in Malta? So far I found plenty of companies renting cars but not motorbikes. What is the real situation in Malta? We have traveled on motorbike around lot of europian islands and everywhere it's very popular. How come? So is is just because the local renting places don't have websites? I would really appreciate if any local inhabitant (or anybody else who knows) could give me an answer.. Thanx, Petra

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

The subject of motorbike rental has been previously discussed and as I said before “I would not recommend hiring a scooter or motorbike unless you have a death wish. It is not your experience you need to worry about it is the roads and especially the Maltese drivers most of whom have not mastered what the indicators are for! As for who has right of way is anyone’s guess.

The Maltese have a quaint way of driving in the shade, which could be on the wrong side of the road.”

The previous thread:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/…46545360

If you still have a death wish and want to rent a motorbike have a look at

http://www.ahsmalta.com/

Macl1uk

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

You will find places to rent a motorbike on the Qawra seafront and on the Sliema seafront for sure .

As an Ex biker , I would suggest that you hire a car with airconditioning , much safer and less likely to be damaged ! Take out , and check your conditions of insurance , and take a photo of any damage to the car , before you take it .

Welcome to Malta

ipswich
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

I'm a Malta regular every winter for a couple of months .... yep ... retired and loving it !

More importantly I'm a motorbike nut and a qualified advanced instructor (180,000 miles in 7 years on nine different bikes ) ... forget Malta on a motorbike. I asked what happens if there's an accident and the hire guy said .... " basically Malta drives to UK rules but nobody follows the rules ... you need balls to get onto roundabouts .... if there's an accident and nobodies hurt you just argue to win ... if some one is hurt you call the police who apply the Highway Code as we Brits believe it applies ! "

Then he said " we have Cypriots, Egyptians and Italians as the mix ... need I say more ?"

Forgetting the people ( the Maltese are actually wonderful ) the roads are appalling ... I hire a car and own a push bike for Malta .... ride on the path 90% of the time and push it on the path 10% of the time .... remember in the winter months there's not many people about so the paths are mostly free. It's normal on the push bike to meet a car coming the wrong way down a one way street ... you have to stop ... the driver looks at you ... takes both hands off the wheel and shrugs his shoulders ... like "yea well what's your problem".

I've got pictures of road signs with black plastic bags taped over them ... the locals didn't agree with the decision to some new rule !!!

Imagine you melted a big pot of Tarmac and poured it on the road and it just spread out under its own steam ... there's a main road in Mosta where that's done and in some places it's probably 4 inches high on the leading edge of the self levelling Tarmac where it's cooled and stopped short of making a complete cover.

AND THAT'S A REPAIRED ROAD .... Sundays the Maltese parade their bikes and cars..... there's a nice piece of road outside the Qwara Palace and the bikers open up the throttle for at least 500 yards :-)))))))))) you have to feel sorry for them , must be as frustrating as hell.

To finish , I was riding the coast road and came to a section marked buses only ... saw a copper and asked am I allowed there on my push bike ? He stepped back looked at me like an idiot , looked down at my pedals and said " You don't have an engine you can go where you like ... !" Smiling I said "what up one way streets ?"

"Roads paths anywhere you like !"

Malta is brilliant , people are wonderful ... motorbikes are more expensive than cars to hire ... get on the brilliant cheap buses and have fun.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

Nothing wrong with going to malta every year, i wish i could afford it! i love the place. to the point i want to move out there and start a business!!

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

I read the post and had a lot of doubts if I should rent a motorbike. Anyway we did (me and my girlfriend). We rented a 125CC scooter at 35EUR/day with extra insurance.

We had a great time. Went to Gozo twice and traveled the whole island. We did 300km in 4 days :).

Couple of points to consider:

- road condition is bad - pot holes and bumps more suitable for a dirt bike rather than the scooter

- road surface is worn out and it is like glass

- there is no sand but because of the above is slippery. take care when cornering

- drivers are careful so we had no issue with that

- I had a big bike home and I have some experience. If you are learning - Malta is not the place but if you have miles on two wheels this is the way to go around the island.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 9:52 am, August 12, 2014
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

Glad you enjoyed your time and stayed safe. We're on our last day on Malta and as an advanced rider I've been watching the various motorbikes/scooters riding around and at first, was amazed at how they survive.

But as our holiday progressed, I noticed that car drivers seem to be more aware and give more consideration to bikes. Numerous times on the buses I was left aghast as cars pulled out in front of us, shot across our path on roundabouts. But whenever there was a bike around, cars would wait in side roads, wait at the entrance to roundabouts, give them room when overtaking.

Bruce's comments about the road surfaces are spot on. Lots of lumps, bumps, troughs, bad repairs, potholes. One road we went through in Marsaxlokk was 100 metres of round lumps of tarmac - patches on patches on patches.

Would I ride here? I think I'd have a go, but not in summer when it's a bit crazy, the road surfaces are melting and wearing armour etc is probably impossible (I saw one rider wearing a jacket and jeans - everyone else was shorts & tshirts).

Anticipation is the key - if you think there's the slightest chance a driver could do something that will cause you a problem, assume he/she will and be ready, take avoiding action, way before they do it. Traffic generally doesn't move fast, and if you give yourself time to react, you may stay safe as Omerziteli did. It has to be the easiest way to get around and parking won't be a problem.

7. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, October 12, 2014
uk england
Level Contributor
379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

Bruce you think the roads are bad in malta you go to India and drive iv drove all over India that's what you call bad roads

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

India.... agreed

Edited: 3:04 am, January 07, 2015
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorbike Renting in Malta - advice needed!

In living here, I personally feel it's not the safest place for two wheels. The island is small, car ownership is very high, roads can be packed and road surfaces are mixed with many throwing riders all over the place. If you can drive a car, you would be safer in my view.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta